ReasonForOurHope

Thursday, September 13, 2012

Trailer Time: Lincoln





I've been waiting for a long while to see a glimpse of Spielberg's Lincoln.  This has been one of his lifetime ambitions.  And I have to say that I was excited by the idea of one of my favorite directors taking on one of my favorite presidents.

So I watched the trailer.

And... I don't know... something just didn't seem right.  And then it hit me:

Lincoln looks like Kramer.

Seriously, Daniel Day-Lewis looks and sounds like Cosmo Kramer doing a Lincoln impression.

Maybe I'm being too harsh, but this does not comport with my image of Lincoln.

That isn't to say that this will be bad.  I remember that when I first saw Paul Giammati as John Adams, I didn't like it.  By the end of the mini-series I was completely sold.  

I'm cautious now.  Spielberg has not made a truly great movie since Saving Private Ryan.  He has made some good ones.  He's made some bad ones.  But this subject needs the deftest hands, and with a script by the awful Tony Kushner, I don't see that happening.

Thoughts?

1 comment:

  1. He really looked nothing like Kramer to me so I think you are completely wrong. However, just for truth in advertising I really did not see anything after the studio logos because of the twenty rapid camera cuts sent me into an epileptic seizure.

    ReplyDelete