ReasonForOurHope

Sunday, June 24, 2012

Thank You, Lord, for Teaching Me Humility

So my wife and I were at Mass.  It was the feast of the Nativity of John the Baptist.

 During the homily the priest asked: "Does anyone know why we celebrate John the Baptist's birth on June 24th?"

Well, being a theology teacher, I raised my hand quite confidently.  As I was one of the only ones, the priest called on me.  I was about to impress the entire congregation with my knowledge.  We celebrate the Annunciation on March 25th.  Gabriel at that moment tells Mary that Elizabeth is 6 months pregnant with John.  So I shout:

"June 24th is 6 months from March 24th"

The church began to murmur, no doubt horribly impressed.

Then my wife said in my ear:  "That's THREE months."

It was then that I noticed that the murmurs were actually giggles, now accompanied by pointing.

To which I shouted back to the congregation:

"I can't do math!"


No comments:

Post a Comment