ReasonForOurHope

Wednesday, September 18, 2013

New Evangelizers Post: The Cure d'Erie - Fr. Larry Richards



I have another post up at NewEvangelizers.com


This one is on the man who changed my life, Fr. Larry Richards.  I keep the banner for his organization, The Reason for Our Hope, at the top of my blog because I think that encountering him will always be more beneficial to your life than encountering me on this blog.


I have just read the post by Pete Socks where he spoke of his interview with Fr. Larry Richards.  I would recommend reading his article “Pray for our Priests” and his interview at CatholicBookBlogger.com if you have not already done so.  What you will find from Mr. Socks is a man who is completely taken with this priest, a priest unlike any other.
I know, because Fr. Larry has the same effect on me.

When I was 17 years old, I went on a retreat called Teens Encounter Christ.  That weekend is the turning point of my life.  It is what separates my life into before and after.  I had done several other renewals and retreats up until this point.  But I was not prepared for what was to come.

I knew very few people who were going to be there that weekend and I was someone given to shyness.  As I was being led into the dorms, the man carrying my bags pointed to the lumbering figure dressed in black walking towards us.  The man next to me said, “This is Fr. Larry Richards.  He’s our spiritual director for the weekend.”  I extended my hand to say hello.

Fr. Larry did not say hello.  Instead, without a word, he grabbed me into a fully twisted headlock and asked very loudly, “YOU’RE GOING TO BECOME A PRIEST, RIGHT?”  To which I eeked out a timid yes.  That was my first inkling that this TEC weekend would be unlike any other.


You can read the whole thing here.

No comments:

Post a Comment