ReasonForOurHope

Thursday, May 19, 2022

Trailer Time: She-Hulk: Attorney at Law (Disney+)


Okay, I will attempt to be open-minded about what I saw.

She-Hulk is a character with a long comedic history in comic books.  So the fact that this trailer highlights the comedy aspects of the MCU is fine.

Also, the fact that they are focusing on her being an attorney that specializes in super-human law is an incredibly interesting angle.  If they play this right, this could have some fascinating science-fiction stories that mix with court-room dramas.  It would by like the MCU meets Law & Order.  Granted Daredevil already did this very well, this could be more light-hearted like Ally McBeal.  

And I have to say that I love Tim Roth as an actor, so I am excited to see him reprise his role as the Abomination.

However, I'm not sure they are setting the right tone.  The line that really bothered me was when Jennifer said that fear and anger are the baseline emotions of all women.

That seems wrong to me.  I am not a woman, but my wife, for example, is not someone whose emotional life is centered on fear and anger.  She-Hulk seems to be presented a very distorted view of womanhood that reduces women, rather than elevates them.  Perhaps I am fixating too much on a small detail, but if they thought this was important to show in the trailer, it tells me what kind of philosophy is at the heart of the show.  

Thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment