ReasonForOurHope

Sunday, May 8, 2022

Happy Mother's Day 2022

 

"Smile! Your Mom Chose Life!"

Some of you may have seen this bumper sticker.  I was thinking about that today as I began to write this post.  With the real possibility of Roe v. Wade being overturned in the near future, it made me think about how I was born after this horrendous decision.  Because of this, my mother could have aborted me.

When I was born, my family was traveling from state-to-state for my father's job.  My mom had two kids already.  On top of this, my father had both of his parents living with us.  That is already a very busy household.  Yet, when my mom became pregnant with me, there was no hesitation to bring me into the world.

There were no serious considerations about abortion (as far as I know).  Both of my parents were Catholic and my mom had wanted a large family.  Still, if she had wanted to, she could have decided that three was too much.

My mom chose life.  

Today is a day to honor all of our mothers.  Your life may have been planned or unplanned.  But for many of us, once we were conceived, our mothers had a choice whether or not to let us be born.

Even if it was never really an option in your mom's mind and heart, today would be a good day to thank your mother for choosing life.  

Later today when I visit my mother at the cemetery, I plan to tell her this.  The separation of death is overwhelming at times, but I try to remind myself that it is temporary.  My mother is alive in Jesus Christ.  And right now I pray she is in Heaven with my sister Tori.

I often forget that I have another sister.  She died before she was born.  My mother never got a chance to hold her and tell her how loved she was.  I don't pretend to know how the mysteries of the afterlife work, but I feel in my bones that Divine Mercy would allow them to finally embrace.  It is incredibly comforting to think that my mom is with one of her children right now and that she will not be alone until the rest of us join her.

I think about all of the children whose mothers did not choose life.  I imagine them in Heaven, praying very much for those mothers so that one day they too will be reunited by Gods' gentle mercy.  

Today too, I am blessed that my mother-in-law lives with us.  Today is a reminder that through marriage, I have someone here on earth to honor as a mother on this day.  

For all mothers out there, know that I am praying for you and thanking God that you chose life!  The effect you will have on the minds, hearts, and souls of your children will be felt for all of eternity.  

Yours in an eternal work and an eternal glory.  Every purely human endeavor on this world will disappear.  The greatest novel, the most beautiful work of art, the grandest scientific achievement, the most momentous political movement... these things will all be swallowed up by the death of this mortal universe.  

But the soul is immortal.  We are immortal.  The person will persist forever.

And you, mothers, are shaping that eternal work of art that is your child's soul in a way that no one else will.

Today, I honor you!

Happy Mothers Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment