ReasonForOurHope

Monday, January 14, 2013

Monday Poetry: Songs of Innocence Introduction

William Black famously wrote his series of poems: Songs of Innocence/ Songs of Experience.

It will be interesting to examine each.  But his introduction reminds us of the joy that simple rhyme and meter can have on the young hearts.


Introduction

Piping down the valleys wild,
Piping songs of pleasant glee,
On a cloud I saw a child,
And he laughing said to me:

"Pipe a song about a Lamb!"
So I piped with merry chear.
"Piper, pipe that song again"
So I piped, he wept to hear.

"Drop thy pipe, thy happy pipe;
Sing thy songs of happy chear-
So I sung the same again,
While he wept with joy to hear.

"Piper, sit thee down and write
In a book, that all may read."
So he vanish'd from my sight,
And I pluck'd a hollow reed,

And I made a rural pen,
And I stain'd the water clear,
And I wrote my happy songs
Every child may joy to hear.

No comments:

Post a Comment