ReasonForOurHope

Thursday, August 16, 2012

Fall and Holiday Movie Season





Now that Summer Movie Season is over, it is time to look at the Fall and Holiday movie season. This tends to be the time of year for “important” films that get awards. Emanuel Levy points out that in the 1980's 64% of all the films nominated for best picture were released between September and December. This is done to make sure that the film is fresh in the minds of Academy Voters and that it doesn't get drowned out by Summer Blockbusters.

So what movies are remaining in 2012? Here is a list, with a few brief thoughts of my own, including on a scale of 1-5 stars my likelihood of seeing it in theaters (1 being “Not at all” 5 being “Cannot wait!”).

Feel free to chime in.

Sep 21:
Dredd- looks like it could be an improvement on the infamous Sylvester Stallone/ Rob Schneider debacle (**)
House at the End of the Street- I don't like horror movies anymore (*)
Trouble With the Curve- Good cast and I'm wondering what could be in this story that brought Eastwood out of acting retirement (***)
End of Watch- Looks too shakey-camy (*)

Sep 28:
Hotel Transylvania: I like the studio and I have an affection for the Universal movie monsters that stems back to Abbot and Costello Meet Frankenstein and The Monster Squad (***)
Won't Back Down- Looks like it could be nice, but I can wait for Redbox (**)
Looper – I'm a huge Joseph Gordon-Leavitt fan and I've heard awesome things about this movie. This could be amazing (*****)
Solomon Kane – I'm slightly familiar with the character, but I'll wait for this one from Redbox too (**)

Oct TBA
Vamps- Clueless with Vampires. Doesn't grab me (*)

Oct 5
Taken 2- Loved the first one. Second looks good too. I'm there! (*****)
Pitch Perfect- I'm glad Anna Kendrick has taken a lead, and I love movies about singing (*****)
Frankenweenie- Nothing I've seen makes me want to see this film (*)
The Paperboy- Zach Effron tries to make himself more adult in this sweaty noir. Looks bad (*)
V/H/S- I don't like horror movies anymore (*)
Wuthering Heights- I haven't heard anything about this adaptation (*)
Butter- Good cast, could be good or get bogged down in preachy satire (***)
The Oranges – its like a comedic version of American Beauty (that's bad) (*)


Oct 12
Here Comes the Boom- I find Kevin James hysterical and here he's taking on a Rocky-like comedic role. (****)
Argo- After The Town, I'm excited to see Affleck's new film (*****)
Seven Psychopaths- looks like it has some funny parts, but seems a bit too weird (**)
Middle of Nowhere- Doesn't interest me (*)
Nobody Walks- Another infidelity indie drama (*)
3, 2, 1... Frankie Go Boom- looks awful beyond words (*)
Atlas Shrugged Part II – didn't see the first (*)


Oct 19
Paranormal Activity 4- I don't like horror movies anymore (*)
Alex Cross- intriguing; Tyler Perry not in drag and Matthew Fox as a psycho (***)
Killing Them Softly – looks well made, but doesn't grab me (*)
ABC's of Death- I don't like horror movies anymore (*)


Oct 26
Silent Hill: Revelations 3D- I don't like horror movies anymore (*)
Cloud Atlas- As I said before, either great or awful. No in between. But I am intrigued (****)
Fun Size – A horrible film to peddle to kids (*)
Chasing Mavericks- Redbox (**)
The Big Wedding- Big cast, but ultimately empty (*)
The Loneliest Planet- looks too Euro-angsty (*)
The Sessions- morally offensive plot (*)


Nov 2
Wreck-It Ralph- Looks good (*****)
Flight- Not that interesting (**)
Jack and Diane- Looks too teenage agnsty (*)
This Must Be The Place- This must be the most mind-numbingly awful movie of the year (*)

Nov 9
Skyfall- It looks like Bond is back (*****)
Lincoln- Love Spielberg but do not like writer Tony Kushner (***)


Nov 16
The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part 2- I have to finish the series (*****)
Anna Karenina – No desire to see this movie (*)

Nov 21
Red Dawn – The trailer has me interested (****)
Rise of the Guardians- This could be good (***)
Life of Pi – I can't make heads or tails of this movie from the trailer (**)
The Silver Linings Playbook – From the writer/director of the Fighter. Jennifer Lawrence and Bradly Cooper have good chemistry (***)

Nov 30
Universal Soldier: Day of Reckoning- Isn't this franchise finished? (*)
The Frozen Ground- Need to see more before I get interested (*)




Dec 7
Playing for Keeps- Redbox (**)
Deadfall- Doesn't look that good (*)
Hyde Park on Hudson- I am always fascinated when Bill Murray does dramas (***)

Dec 14
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey- Midnight showing! (*****)
Les Miserables- Could be amazing! (*****)

Dec 19
Zero Dark Thirty- Not capturing me (*)
Monsters, Inc. 3D- Great movie, but I don't need to see it in 3D (*)

Dec 21
The Impossible- Can't tell (*)
This Is 40- I love Judd Apatow and I want him to come back from the terrible Funny People (*****) Jack Reacher- I need to see more before I am convinced (**)
Dec 25
Django Unchained- Not the biggest Tarantino fan, so I'm not sold (**)
The Guilt Trip- I need to see more before I am convinced (**)

Dec 28
Therese- Sounds like Merchant Ivory dreck (*)


No comments:

Post a Comment