ReasonForOurHope

Sunday, August 23, 2026

Sunday Best: Fall/Winter Movie Season 2026

    Now that the Summer movie season has ended, it is time to look ahead to Fall and Winter.

The big blockbusters have mostly finished for the year.  Now we start getting into the time when either we have lower-budget fare or a place to dump movies that studios have low confidence in.  This is also the time when we start to see the movies that studios will push hard for awards.


Here is a list, with a few brief thoughts of my own, including on a scale of 1-5 stars my likelihood of seeing it in theaters (1 being “Not at all” 5 being “Cannot wait!”).

SEPTEMBER

September 4th

By Any Means


This seems kind of interesting, like a more action-oriented Mississippi Burning.  I really like the cast and this could be good.  (***)

Onslaught

This looks like a much darker version of Universal Soldier, but I might wait for streaming. (**)


September 11th




Runner

It's very interesting that Angel Studios is branching into different genres like action.  This one has my curiosity at the very least (***)


The Uprising


I like Andrew Garfield and they are playing this up like a new Braveheart, but my instict tells men that this movie is going to be more depressing than inspiring.  (**)


Practical Magic 2

I didn't see the first one. (*)



September 18th

Resident Evil

While the movie looks well-made, I am just not into horror movies. (*)


The Weight

An intersting premise, but not enough to catch my interest  (**)



September 25th

Heart of the Beast


This could be an exciting and touching man's best friend story that might be worth it on the big screen.    (***)


Forgotten Island

The trailers just aren't grabbing me.  It's like it's trying to hard to be quirky and cool.   (*)





OCTOBER

October 2nd

Verity

Portraits of the three main characters are seen; Lowen Ashleigh (Dakota Johnson) fills the background, while the other two (Anne Hathaway and Josh Hartnett) are seen in triangle shapes.

This has the makings of an interesting psychological thriller, but I would need to see more before taking an interest.  I'm worried that it is going devolve into utter pretension.  (**)

Digger

I love Tom Cruise, but this movie looks truly awful.  It wants to be the new Dr. Strangelove. but it just looks horribly dark and mean-spirited.  But Cruise is trying to break form so he can finally win an Oscar. (*)




October 9th

Other Mommy

the poster features Jessica Chastain's face as she smirks with a visible tear in her left eye

I will admit that this trailer gave me a good jump scare.  I wish it well, but I don't see horror movies in the theater  (*)


The Social Reckoning


While The Social Network was interesting, I get the feeling that this movie is going to be horrible preachy and have none of the insights of the first movie. (*)




October 16th

Street Fighter

Honestly, I have to credit One Piece for opening me up to this movie.  The cartoonish, over-the-top style would usually be a big turn-off.  But One Piece showed me that if you have a big enough heart, this can absolutely work.  I am hopeful.  (***)


Whalefall

An interesting premise, but not enough for a feature, but more of a Twilight Zone episode    (**)


Poetic License


Maude Apatow is moving into directing like her father Judd.  I am curious, but this might be a streaming watch.  .  (*)


Sense and Sensibility



If this is anything like the 1999 Pride and Prejudice, I might want to see this.  (***)


October 23rd

Wicker

This movie looks gross and awful.  How did this get made? (*)


Clayface

A man looking forward in a black background, with his mouth melting open.

When Fox decided to turn New Mutants into a horror movie, I thought it was a terrible idea.  I mostly feel the same way about Clayface.  I don's see how this builds the brand.  (**)



Klara and the Sun

I like the sci-fi prmise, very Pinochio-esque.  But I have the feeling is more about disillusionment than enlightenment.

NOVEMBER


November 6th

The Cat in the Hat

The titular Cat in the Hat is seen over many faces with blue hair.

I get the humor, but it isn't grabbing me (except the joke about Ron).  (**)



November 13th


Ebenezer: A Christmas Carol

I could be wrong about this, but it looks like Johnny Depp is having fun with this role.  Adaptation of this story are a dime-a-dozen, but I might want to check this out. (***)


How to Rob a Bank

Everything about this movie looks awful.  I find the characters and the premise noxious to the point where I am repelled every time I see the trailer.  (*)



November 20th

I Play Rocky


If they do this right, it could be the feel-good movie of the season.  This might be the closest thing to seeing Rocky again for the first time.  (****)

The Hunger Games: Sunrise on the Reaping

I haven't seen the previous two movies in this franchise, so I'm less likely to see this, especially since we know how it is going to play out.  But maybe if the trailers grab me, I'll check it out (**)

November 25th

Focker In-Law

I missed most of the movies in this franchise, but the trailer made me laugh so I might check it out.  (***)


Hexed

Something about this seems boring and unoriginal.  I'm probably not going to see this.  (*)


The Adventures of Cliff Booth


Netflix is releasing this into theaters probably so it can be an Oscar contestant.  Normally, I would just wait for Netflix, but I love Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, so I might just get the theatrical experience (****)

DECEMBER

December 4th

Violent Night 2

Didn't see the first. But I'm curious now that Kristen Bell is in it.  However, the trailer looks like a parody traile and not a real movie.(*)


December 11th


Zero AD: The Birth of Christ

I know that there are many movies about the Christmas story, but this one has an incredibly interesting cast that I'm willing to check out (even though it was supposed to come out last year).  (***)


The Debut

This looks like it is going to devolve into utter pretension.  (*)

December 18th

Avengers: Doomsday

Victor von Doom standing in a metallic green glass while grabbing his mask.

There is no way that I am missing out on this on opening night.  While I have some reservations, I am hopeful for how they are going to portray Doom and create some real stakes in the MCU again   (*****)

Dune: Part Three


Unlike the first one, this feels like the final act of a Three Act Tragedy.  I will see it, but I'm not looking forward to it as much as the first two.  (****)


December 25th

Jumanji: Open World


While none of these movies have been great, I've enjoyed them enough to want to see this through to the end (***)


Werwulf

Looks like Nosferatu, but again, I don't dig on horror (*)

Thoughts?



No comments:

Post a Comment