ReasonForOurHope

Thursday, April 18, 2024

Trailer Time: Transformers One


This one was nowhere on my radar.  

The concept also is one that never occured to me: Transformers as a silly coming-of-age comedy.  Just from that description, it sounds like a terrible idea.

Transformers has always had a tone of seriousness.  Yes, the Michael Bay movies were full of dumb humor.  But when it came to Optimus Prime, he was grim leader: "Heavy is the head that wears the crown."  In a similar way, Megatron was not one for any kind of levity.  So when the trailer started, I was immeadiately turned off.

But as the trailer went on, I began to warm to the concept.  There are two reasons for this:

The first is that there actually appears to be an intersting story here.  Take the Transformers aspect of it out, and it feels like a classic adventure of the younger generation seeking out new horizons and discovering a great destinty.  The second is that I found myself laughing at the jokes.  

In fact, I think I laughed more in this one trailer than I have during episodes of most modern sitcoms.  

And strangely, I found myself a little sad.  It seems like Optimus Prime and Megatron are good friends with fun chemistry.  But just like on Smallville, we know where this road ends.  

Transformers: Rise of the Beasts felt like a tired offering of a once vibrant franchise.

Transformers One might be able to inject a litter energon into this universe.

Thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment