ReasonForOurHope

Wednesday, April 10, 2024

Trailer Time: Joker 2 (Joker: Folie à Deux)


I remember when they first announced the original Joker movie and I thought it was a terrible idea.  When the movie actually came out, I was very happy to be wrong.  

Joker was a fantastic film with a horribly dark insight into the human condition.  It needed no sequel.

And then they announced this Joker sequel and again I thought it was a terrible idea.  Then they announced that it would a musical with Lady Gaga as Harley Quinn.  Each new bit of information made it sound worse.

And now they have just dropped the first trailer.

I have to say... I'm kind of intrigued.

First of all, I really like the take on Harley in this one.  Margot Robbie gave us the manic anti-hero version of the character.  This one looks to be a feminine mirror of Joker's masculine insanity.

The second thing that I am taking away from this trailer is that it will be a window into their insanity.  We got a little bit of this in the first Joker where the main character has a meditative dance after his first murder.  He found something beautiful and artistic in his violence.  It looks like this movie is going to let you see the main characters' murder and mayhem from their perpective, not as dark acts of evil but as bold, artistic expressions of their feelings.  That is an incredibly interesting take if that is the way they are going.

Finally, the final shot really got me.  Not only is it a brilliant bit of cinematography, but it highlights Joaquim Phoenix's incredible mastery of his body language to completey transform before your eyes in seconds.

I am way more intersted in this film now with trailer.

Thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment