ReasonForOurHope

Sunday, April 25, 2021

Sunday Best: Oscars 2021 Tonight

 


(My apologies for the lack of content the past week.  Last week I had a term paper due and it was show week for a play I was directing.  This week I have to study for my final exam (20% of my total grade) and edit the play to have it ready for streaming by Friday.  This is in addition to my normal work as a teacher.  So this week may also be light on content.  Thank you for your patience, dear reader)


Tonight are the Academy Awards!

My prediction is that these will be the least watched Oscars in history.  The vast majority of the movies nominated have never been seen by most people.  I'm sure there are those who will blame the lack of interest on the pandemic, but this would be a bit of a dodge.  While this year had less content available, the Oscars are still going with more and more obscure films.  

As I have always said, just because a movie is popular and successful, it does not therefore make the movie good.  But there is also a reason why many of the movies nominated fail to find an audience: they aren't very good either.  

I used to think that the reason Hollywood kept nominating and awarding these more obscure movies was because they wanted to be the taste makers: they wanted to tell you what you should and shouldn't like.  It used to be that if a movie won a Best Picture Oscar, there would be a bump in interest in revenue by the general public.  But now, I'm not so sure.  With these awards, I don't think they actually care whether or not general audiences ever see them.  The Oscars feel more like a closed club of members who are only trying to impress each other.  More and more I get the feeling that we are not invited to watch, but instead we are the plus one of someone else who got the invitation and the Academy doesn't care what we think.

That's all well and good if they want to go that way.  But all of the fun and interest in this Oscars will evaporate.

Tonight I will be watching, but without much interest.

You are invited to play our amended Oscar game this year.


Click the link below to fill out the form
CATHOLIC SKYWALKER 2021 OSCAR GAME

Here are my choices so far:


NameCatholic Skywalker
Do you want me to use your real name on my blog?
BEST PICTURE - MY PREDICTION“Nomadland”
BEST DIRECTOR - MY PREDICTIONChloé Zhao, “Nomadland”
BEST ACTOR - MY PREDICTIONChadwick Boseman, “Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom”
BEST ACTRESS - MY PREDICTION
Carey Mulligan, “Promising Young Woman”
BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR - MY PREDICTION
Leslie Odom Jr., “One Night in Miami”
BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS - MY PREDICTIONGlenn Close, “Hillbilly Elegy”
BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY - MY PREDICTION“One Night in Miami”
BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY - MY PREDICTION“The Trial of the Chicago 7”
BEST ORIGINAL SCORE - MY PREDICTION“Soul”
BEST ORIGINAL SONG - MY PREDICTION
“Speak Now” (“One Night in Miami”)
BEST ANIMATED FEATURE FILM - MY PREDICTION“Soul”
BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY - MY PREDICTIONErik Messerschmidt, “Mank”
BEST COSTUME DESIGN - MY PREDICTION“Mulan”
BEST FILM EDITING - MY PREDICTION“Promising Young Woman”
BEST MAKEUP AND HAIRSTYLING - MY PREDICTION“Mank”
BEST PRODUCTION DESIGN - MY PREDICTION“Tenet”
BEST SOUND EDITING - MY PREDICTION“Greyhound”
BEST VISUAL EFFECTS - MY PREDICTION“Tenet”
BEST INTERNATIONAL FEATURE FILM - MY PREDICTION
“Quo Vadis, Aida?” Bosnia and Herzegovina
BEST DOCUMENTARY FEATURE - MY PREDICTION“My Octopus Teacher”
BEST DOCUMENTARY SHORT - MY PREDICTION“Hunger Ward”
BEST ANIMATED SHORT FILM- MY PREDICTION
“If Anything Happens I Love You”
BEST LIVE ACTION SHORT FILM- MY PREDICTION

No comments:

Post a Comment