ReasonForOurHope

Sunday, March 31, 2019

Sunday Best: Summer Movie Season 2019

We are nearing the end of March, so it's time to look forward to one of my favorite seasons of the year: Summer movie season.

It used to be that Summer movie season would begin in June.  But then it became standard for the big movies to come out in May.  Now things are pushed all the way to April.  So we will look at the upcoming releases for April through August.  

I know as a cinephile I should be more interested in when the "important" movies come out just before the major awards.  But I think the movies of summer are pure cinema and tend to be the ones remembered long after people have forgotten the plot of whatever film won the Oscar for Best Picture.

Here is a list, with a few brief thoughts of my own, including on a scale of 1-5 stars my likelihood of seeing it in theaters (1 being “Not at all” 5 being “Cannot wait!”).



APRIL 5

Pet Sematary

Not a big fan of the first one.  This one looks better, but I don't think this is to my taste (**)

SHAZAM!

I saw this one already (full review coming soon), but I think I'll check it out in the theater again (****)


The Best of Enemies

This looks like this could be this year's Green Book.  I like the cast and this could be a good story.  (***)


The Public

I am a huge fan of Emilio Estevez, not just of his acting but also of his directing.  His last film, The Way, was one of the best films I had seen in a while.  This film looks very interesting and it has a good cast.  (****)

Teen Spirit

It looks like it wants to be a serious movie about the pop music, but it doesn't look horribly interesting to me (**)


APRIL 12

Hellboy

I enjoyed the original but I didn't love it.  This movie looks like a lesser version of the first one so I don't think I'll be checking it out in theaters (**)

Little

Could be a cute story, but the trailers didn't make me laugh (**)

Missing Link

Something about the animation here looks really cheap.  I don't just mean the expense, but it feels like a pale imitation of something from PIXAR

Mary Magdalene
Mary Magdalene (2018 film).png

I don't know a lot about this film, but I am highly sceptical that this will be faithful to the Scirptures (*)

Her Smell
Hersmellposter.jpg
A movie about an aging punk rock star that gets the prize for worst title of the year (*)



APRIL 17

Breakthrough
Breakthrough film poster.jpg
I'm usually wary of Christian movies because they put message before art, so they suffer in both areas.  But this one looks very interesting to me with a surprisingly well-known cast (****)




APRIL 26

Avengers: Endgame



I have been trying to prepare myself emotionally for this film, to say goodbye to these characters after all these years.  I know this sounds strange, but I'm hoping this film breaks my heart in a good way.  As soon as tickets are available, I'm getting them for opening knight.  (*****)



MAY 3

Ugly Dolls


Does anyone care about this brand?  Maybe I'm just out of the loop, but I this feels way past the window it should have come out, like the Angry Birds movie.  (**) 

The Long Shot
Long Shot (2019 poster).png

Seth Rogen's humor has worn on me over the years, but the chemistry between Theron and him seems exciting and their comedy bits seem to work.  I think I'll be checking this out (****)


Tell it to the Bees

Just from the trailer, I could write out the entire plot from start to finish without seeing the film (*)



MAY 10


Tolkien
There is a great story here, I'm just unsure of how well they are going to tell it.  (***)

The Hustle
The Hustle film poster.png
This female remake of Dirty Rotten Scoundrels doesn't look like it will be as good as the original, but it still looks pretty funny (***)

Poms

There was one joke in the trailer that made me want to see this film.  It looks like it could be funny, but it could collapse under the weight of its own sentiment (**)




MAY 17

John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum


This series will go down (as long as this one doesn't suck) as one of the greatest action franchises of all time.  I cannot wait to go into the theater, turn my brain off, and see some wonderfully gratuitous violence  (*****)


A Dog's Journey
A Dogs Journey Movie Poster Art.jpg
Again, another film where the entire film from start to finish is told in the trailer.  I don't need to see it now.  (*)

The Sun is Also a Star

A pretentious indie romance.  No thank you (*)



MAY 24

Aladdin


Of all the Disney remakes, this is the one I am most trepidatious about.  Without Robin Williams I'm not sure if you can recapture the magic that this film needs.  (***)

BrightBurn


This dark twist on the Superman story has a lot of people excited, but it looks like a premise whose idea is exhausted after the first act.  (**)

Booksmart

This movie looks truly awful, but artistically and morally (*)

MAY 31

Godzilla: King of the Monsters


This looks like it could actually be a Godzilla movie that I enjoy.  I am not a devotee of the franchise, but I've heard buzz that this will please both fans and non-fans alike.(****)

Rocketman

I think they want this to be this year's Bohemian Rhapsody, but I just don't find Elton John's life all that interesting.  (**)

JUNE 7

X-Men: Dark Phoenix



I'm sorry, I'm just going to say it: the movies about the First Class X-Men are bad.  Days of Future Past only worked because they used the original cast to raise up the new guys.  But Apocalypse was no good and this feels like a retread of The Last Stand.  (**)


The Secret Life of Pets 2


Did not like the first one.  I will not be seeing the second.  (*)


JUNE 14

Men in Black: International

I've always been lukewarm on this series.  In fact, I've only seen the first one all the way through.  It looks like it could be fun, but there is nothing new or innovative about it in the trailer.  (**)

Shaft



This seems way more light-hearted than the last remake and it looks like it could be a great deal of fun.  (***)

JUNE 21


Toy Story 4


I will see this because I trust this studio to not kill their golden goose, even though Toy Story 3 had such a perfect ending.   (****)

Child's Play


This looks like a decent remake, but I'm just not interested (*)

The Art of Self-Defense



Looks like indie-movie drivel. (*)

JUNE 28

Yesterday
The idea about a man who takes credit for the Beatles music when the world forgets them is intriguing.  Plus I am Beatlemaniac. (***)


JULY 5

Spider-Man: Far From Home


I really enjoyed the first MCU Spidey solo film and I am looking forward to spending more time with these characters. (****)

JULY 9

The Lion King

This feels like a shot-for-shot remake of the animated movie, but for some reason I am more open to this one than I am Aladdin.  Maybe its because they had the wisdom to keep James Earl Jones as Mufasa.  (****)



JULY 26

Once Upon A Time in Hollywood


Tarantino's last movie, The Hateful 8, was awful.  This movie will determine for me if that was a one-off or if he has lost his touch.  (***)



AUGUST 2

Dora and the Lost City of Gold

It looks like Tomb Raider Junior.  Not my cup of tea, but it might be fun.  (**)

Fast and Furious Presents: Hobbs and Shaw
Fast & Furious Presents Hobbs & Shaw - theatrical poster.jpg
I am not up to date on this series, but the trailer made it seem like cartoonish fun. (***)

The New Mutants



They are marketing this film like a horror movie.  Why would I want to see an X-Men horror movie?   (**)


AUGUST 9

Artemis Fowl


A friend of mine says that this book series is very good.  I may wait to hear the buzz on the movie (**)

Where'd You Go Bernadette

Oh my goodness, does this movie look awful!  (*)





AUGUST 16

Good Boys


Like Booksmart this is a movie about young people doing morally horrible things.  It makes me cringy and in no way makes me want to see this (*)

The Angry Birds Movie 2
AngryBirdsMovie2Teaser.jpeg
I guess the first one made enough money for a sequel?  I won't be there, though. (*)


Thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment