ReasonForOurHope

Friday, April 20, 2018

Summer Movie Season 2018

We are nearing the end of April, so it's time to look forward to one of my favorite seasons of the year: Summer movie season.

I know as a cinephile I should be more interested in when the "important" movies come out just before the major awards.  But I think the movies of summer are pure cinema and tend to be the ones remembered long after people have forgotten the plot of whatever film won the Oscar for Best Picture (it was The Shape of Water by the way, but I'm sure no one cares).

Here is a list, with a few brief thoughts of my own, including on a scale of 1-5 stars my likelihood of seeing it in theaters (1 being “Not at all” 5 being “Cannot wait!”).


APRIL 27

Avengers: Infinity War



I have been re-watching all of the Marvel movies to prepare for this.  I know that some people are fatigued by the sheer magnitude of the MCU, but this feels like the cinematic version of the great classic comic crossovers of my youth.  I already have my tickets.  (*****)

I Feel Pretty
I Feel Pretty.png

I have not found Amy Schumer funny thus far and will avoid this one. (*)


MAY 4

Overboard
Overboard 2018 remake poster.jpg

If you are going to remake a good movie, you need to make sure that there is a compelling reason.  The gender-swapping here isn't enough (**)

Tully
Tully (2018 film).png

I used to be a big fan of Jason Reitman, but something about his work has waned over time.  I'm in no hurry to see this (**)
MAY 11

Life of the Party
Life of the Party.png

It looks like a remake of Back to School, but unlike Overboard, this has some potential.  But I'd need to see more.  (***)
MAY 18

Deadpool 2
Deadpool 2 poster.jpg

The first one had a "go for broke" insanity to it that made it work.  I'm hoping that it keeps up for this one.  (*****)
MAY 25

Solo: A Star Wars Story
Solo A Star Wars Story poster.jpg

My expectations are so incredibly low for this, that I think I may actually enjoy it immensely.  I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised.  But because it is Star Wars, I will be there opening night.  (*****)

Mary Shelly
I love the novel Frankenstein and I found the story about its creation fascinating.  I also find the lives of Byron and Shelly incredibly interesting (though not very pleasant).  But the trailer makes this look like a sermon rather than a story.  (**)

JUNE 8

Ocean's 8
OceansEightPoster.jpeg

The Ocean movies had a great deal of charm and the trailers so far have me intrigued.  The cast is good and it could be a good deal of fun (****)

JUNE 15

The Incredibles 2


I loved the first one and I'm hoping that they continue on with the same magic.  It has an intriguing story that seems to play really well into the family dynamic.  And the visuals are once again stunning.  (*****)


Tag
Tag (2018 film).png

There is something about the insane immaturity of the premise that reminds me of me and my closest friends.  This could be good.  (****)
JUNE 22

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom
Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom.png

The last Jurassic World was popcorn fun.  This one looks about the same but with less depth.  But I got my money's worth of thrills last time so I think I will do so again (****)

JUNE 29

Uncle Drew
Uncle Drew film.jpg

Apparently this was a YouTube thing that they've made into a movie.  I'm unaware of any internet phenomenon like this making a successful film, but we'll see (***)
JULY 4

The First Purge
The First Purge poster.png

For some reason, these movies make money.  But they will continue to do so without my dollars (*)

JULY 6

Ant-Man and the Wasp
Ant-Man and the Wasp poster.jpg

The first one was one of the most mediocre of the MCU offerings.  But it might make for nice light fare after the trauma of Infinity War.  (****)



JULY 13

Hotel Transylvania 3: Summer Vacation
Hotel Transylvania 3 (2018) Poster.jpg

I didn't see the last one, so I have no intention of seeing this one unless I take my nieces and nephew (*)
Skyscraper
Skyscraper (2018) film poster.png

The Rock is trying to make his own Die Hard, but that is a tough sell for me.  Also the physics of the poster doesn't work.  He won't make it (**)

JULY 20

The Equalizer 2
The Equalizer 2 poster.jpg
I thought the first one was very good, but I've never had the desire to see it again.  This one looks good as well, but I don't have a sense of urgency to see this in the theaters (***)

Mamma Mia: Here We Go Again!
Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again.png

I hated the first one.  But it was one of my mom's favorite movies.  So I will be there opening night for her.  (*****)
JULY 27

Mission: Impossible - Fallout

MI – Fallout.jpg
I don't care if I am the one to say it: Ethan Hunt is the American James Bond.  And his movies are now better than Bond movies.  I look forward to these all the time and the knowledge that Cruise does his own stunts makes the spectacle all the more fun to watch.  (*****)

AUGUST 3

Disney's Christopher Robin
Christopher Robin teaser poster.jpg
The teaser made my wife cry and I admit to getting a bit emotional.  I want to see more of the story, but this could be magical.  (****)

The Spy Who Dumped Me
The Spy Who Dumped Me.png
This looks like a middling comedy, but on a slow week, it could be a couple hours of fun (***)


AUGUST 10

The Meg
The Meg teaser poster.jpg

This is like my worst nightmare come to life.  I wish it didn't look so cheesy. (**)



AUGUST 17

Alpha
Alpha (film).jpg

Something about this movie repulses me.  And I don't mean morally or emotionally.  I can't put my finger on it, but the story seems so utterly pointless.  Maybe I'm wrong, but dumping the movie into the end of August is not a good sign of faith from the studio.


Thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment