ReasonForOurHope

Wednesday, October 1, 2014

New TV Show Mini Review: Forever



So far, this is my favorite new show of the season.  Don't get me wrong.  I think Gotham is excellent so far, but it is very dark.  Dark does not mean bad, but you have to be in a certain mood to watch.  But I've found myself looking forward to this show for the past 3 weeks.

The plot is centers on Dr. Henry Morgan (a fantastic Ioan Gruffudd) who is a man who cannot permanently die.  The reason for the "permanently" is that he can be killed, but he then regenerates naked in a body of water.  In his 200 years he has been learning everything he can about life and death and is now a medical examiner.  Through a series of circumstances he begins working with Det. Jo Martinez (Alana de la Garza) on cases.  Henry uses his powers of observations to see what others can't.  The only one who knows his secret is Abe (Judd Hirsch) who brings such a nice rye and dry wit as well as heart.

So basically this show is Sherlock meets Castle meets Highlander.  So if that appeals to you, I would check this out.

I love mystery shows and Forever has some nice surprises.  The biggest detriment is that there is a voice-over narration that is a little heavy-handed.  Also there are some ironic jokes sprinkled throughout the show about Henry wanting to live forever, which gets a little old.

But I like that the show raises questions about life and death and meaning.  Right now Henry is studying death because he is looking for a way to die.  It reminds me of something CS Lewis said: we do not want to live forever.  We want love and happiness forever, but we only want life because it is a prerequisite for those things.  Right now, Henry has lived so long that he doesn't have a lot of love and happiness, so he is trying to let go of life.  But the show seems to be about finding value and meaning, which I like.

But the show is a lot of fun.  I like the mysteries and there is also an overarching storyline that is tying the entire series.

4 out of 5 stars
CHECK IT OUT

No comments:

Post a Comment