ReasonForOurHope

Monday, August 25, 2014

Sunday Best (on Monday): The 66th Emmy Awards



We're taking a break from the list of Best Actors of All Time to talk about the Emmys

Tonight will be the 66th Emmys.  I am going to try to live tweet them again this year (@CatholicSkywalk), but I might not because I still have a lot of work to do before tomorrow

My wife and I watch a LOT of TV.  But so many of the shows we love don't get nominated.  

Anyway, here are my choices for what I would like to win, and my predictions for what I think will win.

CategoryMY CHOICEMY PREDICTION
BEST DRAMABreaking Bad True Detective
BEST COMEDYThe Big Bang Theory Orange is the New Black 
BEST ACTOR, DRAMABryan Cranston (Breaking Bad) Matthew McConaughey (True Detective)
BEST ACTRESS, DRAMARobin Wright (House of Cards)Kerry Washington (Scandal)
BEST ACTOR, COMEDYJim Parsons (The Big Bang Theory) Jim Parsons (The Big Bang Theory) 
BEST ACTRESS, COMEDYAmy Poehler (Parks and Recreation) Taylor Schilling (Orange is the New Black)
BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR, DRAMAAaron Paul (Breaking Bad)Aaron Paul (Breaking Bad) 
BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS, DRAMALena Headey (Game of ThronesAnna Gunn (Breaking Bad) 
BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR, COMEDYAndre Brauer (Brooklyn 99)Andre Brauer (Brooklyn 99)
BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS, COMEDYMayim Bialik (The Big Bang Theory) Julie Bowen (Modern Family)
BEST VARIETY/MUSIC SHOWSaturday Night Live The Daily Show 


BEST REALITY SHOW (COMPETITION)The Amazing Race Dancing with the Stars 


BEST TV MOVIE or MINI-SERIESNONEFargo


BEST ACTOR, TV MOVIE/MINI-SERIESBenedict Cumberbatch (Sherlock) Mark Ruffalo (The Normal Heart)
BEST ACTRESS, TV MOVIE/MINI-SERIESNONE Helena Bonham Carter (Burton and Taylor)


I have to admit I'm not that good at picking Emmy winners.  

I am curious if Breaking Bad is going to be big this year or not.  The final episodes were amazing, but they aired over a year ago.  Voters might think that they are now old news.

I still am pulling for Bialik to win an Emmy.  Her work on The Big Bang Theory has only gotten better and better.

And while I think that Cranston should go out on top, I think voters might just give McConaughey the win as a reward for his massive renaissance   And while I wasn't a fan of the mostly boring True Detective, his performance is top notch.

As to the other categories, my rule of thumb for choosing winners is this: find the one that is the furthest away from traditional Catholic morality and you have a better chance at winning.

No comments:

Post a Comment