ReasonForOurHope

Wednesday, August 13, 2014

New Evangelizers Post: God in the Gaps

I have a new article up at NewEvangelizers.com

The phrase “God of the Gaps” refers to poor argumentation for the existence of the Supreme Being.  There is a gap in our ability to explain things so we use God to explain what we have not been able to so far.

This poor form of apologetics got me to thinking about the gaps not in our logic but in our lives.

We often complain that we don’t have any free time.  At least, I know that is the case for me.  This coming year I will be adding to my course load and extracurriculars by taking over the drama department.  In addition to this I recently joined the Knights of Columbus as a Second Order and hope to become more involved in charity.  So I predict that this coming year will be busier than ever.

But if I’m really honest, I actually have lots and lots of time, just not in the large chunks that I would like.  Have you ever thought about a large project that needed to be done, but when you calculated your time needed against the time available, you cast the project aside?  I do that all the time.  

Yet throughout the day, I’ll have lots of little free moments.  Sometimes I am so free I literally do nothing.  By nothing, I mean nothing, not even sleep.  I might just stand there and stare at something, maybe the microwave, maybe a picture on the wall, while not thinking about anything in particular.  It’s like my life hit pause for a moment.

Granted these moments aren’t long, but they’re there.  It could be between classes or while driving that there is an air of emptiness.  These are the little gaps of life.  And they can be filled.

You can read the entire article here.

No comments:

Post a Comment