ReasonForOurHope

Friday, January 13, 2023

Thoughts on the Golden Globes 2023

 

As many of you probably did not know, the Golden Globes were a few days ago.  Historically, the Globes were most notable for being a precursor to the Oscars.  After being hit with scandal last year, the Globes were cancelled last year.  But now the Globes have returned and no one seems to care (at least according the horrible TV ratings).

However, part of me still enjoys seeing award shows.  So here are my thoughts on the night:


THE GOOD

Three people from my BEST OF THE YEAR choices won awards that night: Michelle Yeoh, Ke Huy Quan, and Paul Walter Hauser.  I found Ke's speech incredibly touching.  He spoke about how he had such great success as a child actor but thought that maybe he had nothing left to offer.  But because the makers of Everything Everywhere All At Once took a chance on him, he realized he still had a voice.  And it really was a great performance.

I was very happy that Hauser was recognized for his incredible performance in Black Bird.  On top of that when his speech did two outstanding things.  The first was that he paid tribute to the late Ray Liotta and encouraged a standing ovation from the crowd.  But I was moved when he said, "Shoutout to my Brother and my King, Jesus Christ!"  It was touching that he would use this chance to witness to the Lord.  Even Angela Basset stood up for God when she won for Wakanda Forever, saying and said "Good things come to those who pray."

And even though I did not like The Fabelmans, I can appreciate how this is a personal story for Steven Spielberg and I was happy for his recognition.

Also, while I think Mark Wahlberg had the best actor performance this year (he wasn't nominated), I think Austin Butler was a good choice for Best Actor

THE BAD

Host Jerrod Carmichael forgot that the most important part about being a host is to be funny.  Yet his opening monologue felt often like a lecture and class was in session.  I found it odd how he kept telling the crowd to "quiet down."  In a much shorter amount of time, veteran comedians Tracy Morgan and Eddie Murphy made a much stronger comedic impression.  

I miss when Ricky Gervais hosted.

Ryan Murphy won the Carol Burnett Award.  This is the man who gave us some of the worst television ever made like Glee and Nip/Tuck.  I find almost everything he does off-putting, so I was not very excited about this honor.

Above all, the show was boring.  Awards shows in general are long slogs.  A good host (Like Gervais or Billy Crystal) can make the whole experience fun and exciting.  But watching most of this felt like homework.


Thoughts?





No comments:

Post a Comment