ReasonForOurHope

Sunday, May 2, 2021

Sunday Best: Oscars 2021 Results

 

Normally, this would be the place where I would go through the entire awards list from Oscars Sunday and analyze the choices.

I'm not going to do that this year.

The main reason is that I really can't since I haven't seen most of the awards.  And based on my responses to this year's Oscar game, neither has anyone else.  This is the very first year where NO ONE participated.  I don't write this as a reflection on those who didn't participate, but as an indictment of the Oscars themselves: nobody cares!

This is reflected in the abysmal ratings.  In just a few short years, the Oscars have less than one quarter of the audience that it once had.  And it is very clear they have no one to blame but themselves.

I was only able to stomach a few minutes of the ceremony itself.  I was actually at the dinner table with my wife and mother-in-law and they gave me concerned looks as I yelled at the screen.

The main issue wasn't politics, though it is always incredibly annoying when the elite of the movie industry take their moment to lecture America.  Instead of being humble and gracious many of them grab the microphone and think "Class is in session!  Now, listen up, America!"

But that wasn't really the problem.  I'm used to that as part and parcel of the awards schtick.  

What I could not fathom was the endless time-padding, butt-kissing of each nominee.  What normally would happen is that the nominee's name was read and a clip of their work was shown.  This would give the audience at home, especially for those who had not seen their film, a chance to get a sample of their work.  Instead, I was watching Laura Dern go through each nominee in the Best Supporting Actor category and go on and on and on about how amazing they are.  

Look, I watch the Oscars because I love movies.  I want these awards to be all about the movies.  

This year the Oscars were the least connected to the movies as I have ever seen them.

I kept shouting at the TV "Nobody cares!"  and "Keep it moving!"  I think the first hour they only got to around 3-4 awards.  And there was no real reason for me to keep watching since I had no dog in this fight.  Last year, I was really pulling for Joaquin Phoenix to win for Joker.  Having just rewatched the movie, I am mesmerized by what he did as a performer and I wanted to see that honored with the recognition it deserved.  

I had not such desire for any nominee this year besides Chadwick Boseman.  I was very surprised that he did not win a posthumous Oscar.  Instead Anthony Hopkins won, becoming the oldest person to win the Best Actor award.  He wasn't at the ceremony.  He as at home asleep.

When your own Best Actor would rather be home sleeping that even watch your awards ceremony, that should give the Academy a good indication of how the rest of the world feels about the Oscars.


No comments:

Post a Comment