ReasonForOurHope

Thursday, January 9, 2020

TRAILER TIME - BIRDS OF PREY – Official Trailer 2





You know I am a big defender of the DCEU.  I am also someone who really liked Suicide Squad, even though it didn't live up to the hype that the trailer caused.  But I thought that the directing was decent and the casting was pretty good.  If they had a little bit of a juicier script, that movie really could have soared.



But this move...



It looks off.



Maybe it's this: Harley Quinn is not a lead character.



Maybe I'm wrong about that, but she doesn't have the power to hold this narrative together.  I like Margot Robbie's performance, but a Harley movie doesn't seem to be working.  It feels like they are trying to make her a female DC Deadpool, but for that to work, the jokes have got to be tip-top, and nothing in this trailer made me laugh.



I actually very much enjoy the cast.  I think Mary Elizabeth Winstead is awesome and Rosie Perez is a very interesting Rene Montoya.  I'm a littler flabbergasted by the casting of Cassandra Cain, who in the comics is a fighter of such prowess that she gives Batman a run for his money.  I don't see any of that in the character they have brought to the screen, which is a shame since the comic book character has such a rich story.



This has a very Ghostbusters 2016 vibe to it.



Does anyone else feel that?

No comments:

Post a Comment