ReasonForOurHope

Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Summer Movie Season 2017

We are nearing the end of April, so it's time to look forward to one of my favorite seasons of the year: Summer movie season.

I know as a cinephile I should be more interested in when the "important" movies come out just before the major awards.  But I think the movies of summer are pure cinema and tend to be the ones remembered long after people have forgotten the plot of Moonlight.

Here is a list, with a few brief thoughts of my own, including on a scale of 1-5 stars my likelihood of seeing it in theaters (1 being “Not at all” 5 being “Cannot wait!”).


MAY 5
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2

GotG Vol2 poster.jpg

I was so shockingly surprised by the first one.  My expectations were so low that the original blew me out of the water.  My expectations are sky high for this one so let’s see if it lives up to them (*****)


3 Generations
3 Generations poster.jpg

Wow does this movie look unbelievably cloying, preachy, and terrible. (*)

MAY 12


King Arthur: Legend of the Sword

King Arthur LotS poster.jpg
Nothing about this looks good or appealing.  Maybe I’m wrong since Guy Ritchie did an interesting take on Sherlock Holmes (*)


Snatched

I don’t think you could pay me to see this film.  The trailer was painful to watch in how unfunny it was. (*)


MAY 19
Alien: Covenant
Alien Covenant Teaser Poster.jpg
There is nothing about this movie that seems new or interesting regarding the Alien franchise.  “Humans go somewhere, get infected with Alien eggs, chaos ensues.”  I’ll wait to hear if it is any good.  (**)


Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Long Haul

Didn’t see the first, have no desire to see the second (*)


JUNE 2


Wonder Woman
I am unabashed in my love for Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice.  And I thought Wonder Woman was one of the best parts of the movie.  I’m hoping this movie lives up to my expectations (*****)


Captain Underpants: The First Epic Movie
No interest in this series (*)


JUNE 9
The Mummy
The Mummy (2017).jpg
If it wasn’t for that first teaser, I don’t think I would be very interested in this.  But this might be a fun Tom Cruise action flick.  (***)
My Cousin Rachel
Pure pretentious dreck (*)


JUNE 16
All Eyez on Me
I have to hand it to Tupac, he’s been dead for decades and he keeps coming out with new stuff.  But I won’t see it (*)


Cars 3
Cars 3 poster.jpg
I didn’t see the last one, so I don’t think I’ll see this (**)


The Book of Henry
The trailer made me curious, but I’m not sure curious enough to buy a ticket (**)


Rough Night

Every single thing about this movie look repugnant.  Why would they make this? (*)


JUNE 23
Transformers: The Last Knight
Transformers The Last Knight poster.jpg
I know that the movies in this series are not what you would call high art, but darn it if I don’t find them horribly entertaining. (****)

JULY 7
Spider-Man: Homecoming
Spider-Man Homecoming poster.jpg
I am very curious as to what they are going to do with this third cinematic Spider-Man.  I’m excited but cautious (****)


JULY 14
War for the Planet of the Apes

Caesar, equipped with a shotgun, rides on a horse in the snow with the film's billing and tagline "WAR" underneath as well as the film's release and credits.
The last one in this series was so surprisingly good.  This final one may be heartbreaking and epic. (****)


Wish Upon


Forgettable teenage horror film (*)


JULY 21
Dunkirk
Dunkirk Film poster.jpg

Christopher Nolan wants an Oscar.  The trailer was great and Nolan has not yet made a bad film.  I am there opening night (*****)


Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets.jpg
This movie’s genre seems right up my alley, but all I can see here is The 5th Element and that means avoid at all cost. (**)


JULY 28
Atomic Blonde
Atomic Blonde poster.jpg
It looks like a female John Wick, but for some reason does not look nearly as enjoyable (**)


The Emoji Movie
The Emoji Movie film poster.jpg
Who thought this was a good idea? (*)


An Inconvenient Sequel: Truth to Power
Ironically, I’m going to say the same thing I did about Cars 3: I didn’t see the second, so I don’t think I’ll see this (*)


AUGUST 4
The Dark Tower
The Dark Tower teaser poster.jpg
I read the entire series and this is actually a hard sell for me.  Nothing I’ve seen so far matches up with how I imagined the series.  I need to see more (***)


Detroit
Detroit teaser poster.jpg
The director is very good, but I have the feeling this is going to be heavy on the lectury side regarding the current state of racial relations.


Ingrid Goes West
Aubrey Plaza was great on Parks and Recreation, but she keeps choosing projects like this that only alienate viewers like me.  This looks like it's trying too hard to be dark and edgy.

THOUGHTS?

2 comments:

  1. Guardians, Transformers, and Spider-Man. Those are my musts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely excited for Guardians 2, Spider Man could be interesting but I skipped the last Spider Man reboot. Wonder Woman has interested me enough that I might see it in theaters (a first for a DC film for me).
    I am super excited for Dark Tower. I really liked the book series, and based on some of the comments I've seen, this seems a little bit of continuation and reimagining than a straight adaptation. Kind of how comics movies might use elements from storylines but don't often take them straight as written.

    ReplyDelete