ReasonForOurHope

Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Summer Movie Season 2014

I know that it is only the middle of March, but its time to look forward to one of my favorite seasons of the year: Summer movie season.

The reason for the pushed up schedule is the release of Captain America: The Winter Soldier this April.  Before, a movie this big would wait for a May release.  But with that month getting so crowded and there being very little competition in April, I think it was smart of Marvel to push ahead.  But this means we'll have to start planning our summer movie excursions earlier.

Here is a list, with a few brief thoughts of my own, including on a scale of 1-5 stars my likelihood of seeing it in theaters (1 being “Not at all” 5 being “Cannot wait!”).

So here is what is on the horizon:


Apr 4

Captain America: The Winter Soldier - This looks very different than the first Captain America, but it looks more sophisticated and the action looks awesome.   (*****)

 Island Of Lemurs: Madagascar - This nature documentaries don't grab me (*)
Under the Skin - I read somewhere that this movie was reminiscent of Stanley Kubrick.  That's enough to get me to pass (*)

Apr 11
 Rio 2 - Didn't see the first one (*)
Hateship, Loveship - I saw a trailer for this and it looks like it good be a good performance from Kristen Wiig in a drama, but it could also be awful.  Not sure.   (***)

Apr 16

Heaven Is For Real - I love Randal Wallace as a writer and a director.  The trailer was strong, so I'll probably see this one in theaters (****)

Apr 17
Transcendence - While Depp can be brilliant, this looks like standard sci-fi horror. (*)

May 2

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 - I loved the first Amazing Spider-Man and I think this one is going to be strong visually and emotionally.  (*****)
Walk of Shame - At one time I really liked Elizabeth Banks.  But I think after Zach and Miri I stopped liking her.  This movie doesn't look that funny (**)

May 9
 Neighbors - I don't know, this movie looks like its going to be horrible people doing horrible things to each other and we're supposed to laugh (*)
 Chef - I don't know anything about this movie other than Jon Favreau directed it, which is enough to have me intrigued (***)
Legends of Oz: Dorothy's Return - There would have to be some strong word of mouth praise for this film for me to see it (**)

May 16

 Godzilla - This looks leaps and bounds above the last American Godzilla movie.  (****)

May 23

X-Men: Days of Future Past - I have high hopes for this movie, which means that it will unfortunately have a lot to live up to for me not to be disappointed (*****)
Blended - This looks like a typical Adam Sandler no-brain comedy.  But that doesn't mean it can't be fun (***)

May 30
Maleficent - Sleeping Beauty is my favorite Disney movie.  So I'm not sure why this live action version isn't really grabbing me (**)

A Million Ways to Die in the West - I loved Ted.  This doesn't look as good, but I'm going to give it a shot (****)

Jun 6

Edge of Tomorrow - I find the trailer surprisingly compelling.  I didn't think I would want toe see it as much as I do (****)
The Fault In Our Stars - I don't know.  It just looks so depressing (**)

Jun 13
22 Jump Street - Didn't see the first one (*)

How to Train Your Dragon 2 - I waited a long time to see the first and I was so delighted.  I'm going to be there for opening night of this one (*****)


Jun 27

Transformers 4: Age of Extinction - I can't say that any of the Transformer movies have been great.  But darn it if I'm not a sucker for those big, bold action scenes.  And now that Shia LeBouf has been replaced by Mark Wahlberg, I think this has the potential to be the most mature of them. (*****)

Jul 11
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - I was lukewarm to the first one.  I think I'll wait for Netflix (**)

Jul 18
Jupiter Ascending - I still can't wash the stink off of the Wachowskis' last movie Cloud Atlas.  But the effects look good (**)

Jul 25
Hercules: The Thracian Wars - I'm curious if the Rock will be a better Hercules than a dubbed Lou Ferigno (**)

Aug 1

Guardians of the Galaxy - I'm going to see it, but I have low expectations.  As I've said before, it looks like The Fifth Element, and that has me worried.  (****)
Aug 8
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - I need to see more before I'm convinced to spend my money (***)

Aug 15
The Expendables 3 - I'm a sucker for stunt casting and I'll probably see this one in the theater as well (***)
Aug 22
Sin City: A Dame to Kill For - it looks just like the first, and that one was a little too dark for me (**)


Thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment