ReasonForOurHope

Sunday, August 11, 2013

Trailer Time: August Osage County



I was in the theater when I saw the trailer for this upcoming bit of Oscar bait.  I was intrigued that it drew in actors I like: Ewan McGregor and Benedict Cumberbatch.

But the story looks horrible.  It feels like a drab deconstruction of marriage and family.  It is based on a play that won Pulitzer and Tony awards.  So I looked them up on the show's wikipedia page to see the plot breakdown.

It.  Was.  AWFUL!

The story is mired in vulgar, perverted, pretentious, depressing dreck, that of course I'm sure the movie will get critical acclaim.  I am TIRED of people thinking that dark and depressing = "real."

All families are dysfunctional in some way.  Yet, surprise surprise, we actually love each other.

It is clearly intended to be a vehicle for its cast and crew to win awards.  If this movie gets heaped with nominations, it will be another nail in the coffin of Oscar Irrelevance.

Of course I'm basing this only on the trailer.

Thoughts?


No comments:

Post a Comment