ReasonForOurHope

Monday, November 5, 2012

Monday Poetry: Trees

CS Lewis once made the point (that I think was given to him by Tolkien), that human beings cannot purely create.  Everything we make is sub-creation.  A unicorn is just a combination of things that already exist put into a new object.

But we cannot invent a new primary color or anything else purely original.

That is what I like about this poem:  Trees.  Kilmer understands this sub-creation and does not rail against it.  Instead Kilmer honors God with meager words to reflect on His greater glory.




TREES
by: Joyce Kilmer (1886-1918)
     THINK that I shall never see
    A poem lovely as a tree.
     
    A tree whose hungry mouth is prest
    Against the earth's sweet flowing breast;
     
    A tree that looks at God all day,
    And lifts her leafy arms to pray;
     
    A tree that may in Summer wear
    A nest of robins in her hair;
     
    Upon whose bosom snow has lain;
    Who intimately lives with rain.
     
    Poems are made by fools like me,
    But only God can make a tree.

1 comment:

  1. Oh dear, it is a lovely poem but still so fraught with cliche, I can already hear that sad little maudlin tune about it.
    Now I'm comparing "Trees" to that poem about the red wheelbarrow, yes I need help.

    ReplyDelete