ReasonForOurHope

Friday, September 8, 2023

Defending Life in Ohio




 I usually try to avoid anything resembling politics in this blog.  My main reason being that politics can be divisive in a way like no other.  My goal is to bring people together in engaging with theology, philosophy and pop culture.

There are, however, some things that transcend politics.  As Catholics, we are obliged to stand with the defenseless unborn and work against the way they are murdered in the womb through abortion.

As I've written, the overturning of Roe v. Wade was not the end of the war over abortion, but only the beginning.  Yes, it is true that striking down that decision was an important step in securing the fundamental right to life.  But now, each state must vote on what abortion laws it will have.

Unfortunately, I believe that many pro-life people have become complacent, thinking that victory has already been achieved.  On the flip side, many pro-abortion people are energized and engaged in taking away the right life for the unborn.  I predict that the pro-life side will have many defeats in the near future until they are roused into action by these losses.

Part of the struggle is learning how to cope with that defeat and move forward.  While I am not fatalistic about the upcoming battles, I have reason to be pessimistic.  However, I always have hope that good people will join together to protect the helpless.  With that in mind, I continue to fight.

I live in the state of Ohio.  This coming November, we will be voting on a constitutional amendment that will legalize abortion up until birth.  Not only this, but it will make it so that anyone, even minors, will be able to get an abortion without parental consent.

The Catholic Conference of Ohio is the official voice for the Catholic Church in this state.  If you live in Ohio, I would ask you to visit their webpage on this issue:

https://www.ohiocathconf.org/protect-ohio


For a more succinct breakdown of what the proposed amendment will legalize, you can check out this .pdf:

https://www.ohiocathconf.org/Portals/1/Protect%20Them%20Both/Campaign%20Materials/Where%20Does%20It%20Say%20That_English.pdf?ver=CIaF77pI9tvhzPUOytEcJg%3d%3d


If you are not from Ohio, I would still ask that you share this information on social media if you have friends who live here.  

I would also ask that we commit ourselves to prayer and fasting for this vote.  We can do nothing without the help of Almighty God.  If we commit ourselves to Him, maybe our state won't commit this grave sin.

God Bless.


No comments:

Post a Comment