ReasonForOurHope

Sunday, February 19, 2023

Sunday Best: Superbowl Commercials 2023

 My apologies for the lack of updates this week, my wife and I have been ill.  But I should be getting back to more regular content.


And for today, I would like to look at the 10 best Superbowl commercials from last week's Superbowl.  Over the last few years, I've come to enjoy football, but I've always loved the Superbowl, particularly for the commercials.  I always find in interesting, entertaining, and fascinating to see how these big companies spend their money in order to get us to consume their products.

It also can sometimes be a window into how corporate America looks at the country.  The idea is to make a broad appeal, so there must be some underlying insight into our fellow Americans that they think they have.

In this list, I will NOT include movie trailers, since I think those each deserve their own considerations.


So here are the best Superbowl ads from this year.


1. Pop Corners - Breaking Bad


Being an enormous fan of this show, it was such a kick to see them recreate the characters and moments but for these "pop corners," with the implication that they are senesational, even addictive.  It was a very nice homage to the show.

2. Netflix Electric Vehicles
This is essentially an ad for GM electric vehicles, but it is also a promotion for Netflix.  And while not every joke from Will Ferrell landed, I enjoyed how he entered both Squid Games and Stranger Things.

3.  Tellers Bud Light



This one was very simple and very charming.  Just a man and his wife trying to make a little fun and magic out of the hum-drum and ordinary.  It just felt nice.

4.  The Farmer's Dog

This one was probably the saddest and the one that pulled most at the heart-strings.  It is a reminder of what wonderful companions we have in dogs and how there is a real, life-long emotional bond that we can build with them, full of joy and sadness.

5 and 6. Pepsi Zero Sugar Acting




I will have to admit that I have never been more interested in at least trying a Zero Sugar Pepsi.  It is a funny bit and it throws a challenge at you, the audience member, which makes this ad more interactive than most others.

7.  Busch Beer Animals

The callback to the ubiquitous Sarah McLachlan ads for animal shelters is what really sells this video with some good-natured humor.

8.  T-Mobile, the Coopers


There is something rather sweet about Bradley Cooper making a commercial here with his mom.  I can't tell how much of this is improv and playing around and how much is only meant to look like that.  But I love Cooper's humility to let his mom take a jab at the fact that he has never won a major award.  

9.  T-Mobile, Grease


I know there are those who find this cloying and cringy.  But Grease is so deeply soaked into my bones (whether I want it there or not), that I could not help enjoying seeing John Travolta having silly fun with Braff and Faison.  It just seemed like they were all having a goofy, fun time.

10.  Affleck Dunkin'

I have a lot of affection for Ben Affleck, and I'm always rooting for his success.  I liked this bit he does interacting with customers.  I especially like the moment when the customer does not recognize him.  

Thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment