ReasonForOurHope

Sunday, July 7, 2013

Sunday Best: Entertainment Weekly's Top 100 TV Shows of All Time



Last week I commented on EW's top 100 movies of all time.   Again, I can't emphasize enough how awful that list is because it includes the atrocious movie The Piano.  Think of the best movie you've seen this year, and that movie is the opposite.

So how did their TV critics do at acknowledge the best of TV.  Let's find out.

1 - The Wire.

I haven't seen it, but some people swear by it.  I am leery, though.

2 - The Simpsons.

A television institution that has been on nearly one quarter of a century.  I know, I know... it isn't as good as it used to be.  That is true.  And yet it is still funnier than most things on TV.

3 - Seinfeld.

This should be ranked high, but not this high.

5 - The Sopranos

I watched this show intensely through Season 2 until I realized that I hated everyone on it.  I began to wonder why I was watching bad people do bad things and then feeling bad the rest of the night.  I then gave up.

6 - All in the Family

This show is preachy and a little dated, but some of the comedy was gold and Carroll O'Connor was perfect.

8 - Buffy the Vampire Slayer

I would place it even higher.  The finale of season 2 is one of the most exquisitely tragic things I have ever seen.

11 - I Love Lucy

Should be much higher.  A lot of 50's sitcoms are fun only in nostalgiac hindsight.  This show is still wildly funny episode after episode.

24 - Lost

I would also place this higher.  People are split on the ending, but it was one of the most profound TV moments I have ever seen.  This show was ambitious and awesome.

31 - MASH

The best show at mixing comedy, drama, and tragedy all at the same time.  One of the best series send offs over.

64 - Modern Family

This show represents the classic problem of television "Jumping the Shark."  The first season was comedic gold.  Season 2 was solid.  But then there was a steady decline in quality to the point where I won't be watching next season.  So if it starts strong but declines horribly, should it still be considered a great show?

70 - Will and Grace

Am I the only one who didn't find a single joke funny on this show.  It was a one-punchline sitcom for 7 years.

71 - Beavis and Butt-head

What in the world is this doing on this list?

72 - Battlestar Galactica

Much better than most of the shows ahead of it on the list.

89 - Mystery Science Theater 3000
photo by Steve

One of the most innovatively funny shows in the medium.  When they hit the right comedic tone, the laughs don't stop

90 - Felicity

This is a fine show, but come on!  It was also kind of boring.

94 - Project Runway

No.


So that's my take on EW's list.  What's yours?



1 comment:

  1. I haven't seen the issue (and probably still won't) but how could they possibly omit the greatest religious program of its day or any other day, Life Is Worth Living?

    ReplyDelete