ReasonForOurHope

Wednesday, July 24, 2013

New Evangelizers Post: What God Has Joined


I have a new article up at NewEvangelizers.com

WHAT GOD HAS JOINED


While beginning this article, I am reminded of a moment in C.S. Lewis’s The Problem of Pain where he was greatly worried about sounding callous to the suffering of others.  “How can I saw with sufficient tenderness what needs to be said here?”  When talking about divorce, the pain experienced is widespread throughout our world and profoundly deep.

I am a child of a divorced couple.  I am, however, unusually blessed in that my parents maintained a very amicable relationship for the sake of their children and I had both my mother and my father as a daily part of my life.  I realize that this is not the case for everyone, but even in this scenario, there are things that you miss out on as a child.

I remember when I was in sixth grade, I had forgotten to do all of my homework for all of my classes.  Finally, my teacher pulled me aside into the teacher’s lounge, which I thought meant that I was in REAL trouble.  Instead of punishing me, she asked me what was wrong, if there was anything bad going on at home.  I needed to think of a lie on the spot.  I remembered that my older sister had hinted that my dad and the woman he was currently dating (his first girlfriend after the divorce) were talking about getting married.  I found out later that this wasn’t true because she was some cultish moon worshipper.  But I didn’t know that. So I figured I had a good excuse to get me out of trouble with my teacher, so I said, “My dad is getting remarried.”

But before I could finish the sentence, I started sobbing genuine, overflowing tears.  It was as if saying the words out loud made the situation real.  And the horror of that, the concrete reality of my parents never getting back together hit me for the first time.  I cried for what seemed like an hour, as my teacher told me everything was going to be okay.

You can read the rest here

No comments:

Post a Comment