ReasonForOurHope

Sunday, September 10, 2023

Sunday Best: Fall/Winter Movies 2023

 Now that the Summer movie season has ended, it is time to look ahead to Fall and Winter.

This year has been very unusual for movies because of the actors and writers striking.  Most of the big blockbusters were finished before the actors strike so that they could go and promote them.  But now, movies like Dune Part II have been delayed.  And this is not because the movie isn't finished, it is because the Actors Guild won't let the stars promote the movie, including doing red carpet premieres.   


Here is a list, with a few brief thoughts of my own, including on a scale of 1-5 stars my likelihood of seeing it in theaters (1 being “Not at all” 5 being “Cannot wait!”).

SEPTEMBER


September 15th

A Haunting in Venice

I am huge Kenneth Branagh fan and I have greatly enjoyed his last two outings as Poirot.  I like that this movie seems like a stylistic change from the previous ones in order breathe some fresh life into it. (****)



September 22nd

Expendables 4

While I enjoyed the first two, I have no real interest in seeing a fourth one (**)


Dumb Money


I actually think that this could be incredibly intersting and funny.  I remember reading about this story when it originally happened.  But since I'm not a finance guy, I couldn't follow it as well, yet I found it very intriguing.  (****)




September 29th

The Creator


I feel like I should be more interested in this one.  But I don't see anything terribly original that I haven't seen in other sci-fi stories with the same topic.  Maybe I'm wrong (**)


Kill Room

I think the premise is interesting: a hitman sells paintings as a way to launder his illegal money.  The problem is that his paintings actually become successful.  It could be good, but I might wait until streaming (***)


Saw X

No thank you (*)


OCTOBER

October 6th

The Burial

I like the cast and I enjoy legal dramas, but I haven't seen anthing to really hook me yet (**)


The Exorcist: Believer


I really don't like horror movies anymore, so I will be avoiding this one (*)


Kraven the Hunter

In Sony's attempt to create a Venom-verse, they have completely re-imagined Kraven's origin.  Part of what made him so terrifying was that he was just a man who was lethal enough to take on super heroes.  It could be decent, but I'm getting serious Morbious vibes.  But is directed by JC Chandor who made a good movie (Triple Frontier) and a great movie (All is Lost), so I'm not sure.  (**)

Freelance

John Cena is looking to at trying to recreate the same formula that made The Lost City a moderate hit.  This could be okay, but I may wait for streaming for this one too. (**)


The Marsh King's Daughter

This reminds me of the trailer to Where the Crawdads Sing.  That movie was a decent hit, but I wasn't interested. (**)

October 13th

What Happens Later

This could be a nice throwback to the Rom-Coms of the '90s.  I like the cast and the trailer was charming enough to make me interested in seeing it (***)


Ordinary Angels

Every once in a while, you need a simple feel-good movie to restore your faith in humanity.  This looks like this could be one of those pleasant, uplifting movies.  (***)


October 20th

Killers of the Flower Moon

Although I have enjoyed later Scorsese more than early Scorsese, something about this movie looks overly indulgent like The Irishman.  I might give this a chance if the reviews are good (***)




October 27th

Five Nights at Freddy's

Even though I don't like horror movies, there is something a bit mesermizing about this movie.  Maybe it's because it taps into the unspoken horror children experience at the old Chuck E. Cheese restaurants, but there is a small chance I will go see this (**)


NOVEMBER


November 10th

Journey to Bethlehem


I need to see more, but a musical version of the Christmas Story might be a fun family experience (or it could be terrible like most Christian movies are) (***)


The Marvels

I know that there is already a lot of online hate for this film before it even comes out, but I am willing to give it a chance.  I didn't hate Captain Marvel or Ms. Marvel, so I'm expecting this movie to be at least mid-level decent (***)


The Holdovers


I would be much more interested in this movie if it wasn't directed by the dour Alexander Paine.  A recurring theme for him is that people are awful and people don't change.  If he wants to tell those kind of stories, more power to him.  But I don't feel like paying to watch them (*)


Next Goal Wins

I like underdog sports movies, but I am kind of sour on the overrated Taika Waititi.  This could be fun, but I have a suspicion that the movie will think that it is funnier than it actually is and it will sprinkled with a healthy dose of lecturing (**)


Trolls Band Together Movie

I haven't seen any of these and I won't start with this one (*)


The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes

Who thought this was a good idea.  I really don't care how the Hunger Games started, nor do I want to see the fall of Snow in an Anakin Skywalker-style prequel.  There is nothing about this that is appealing to me. (*)




November 22nd

Wish

I need to see more of this in the previews before I make up my mind, but Disney animation has not been doing it for me for a while (*)

Napoleon

Oh my goodness... I don't know what it is about this movie that has me super-exited.  I have to hand it to Ridley Scott: he has not let age slow him down.  The drama and scope of this movie look incredible.  I hope it lives up to the hype in my head (*****)


DECEMBER

December 1st

The Bikeriders

I never understood motorcycle culture and Tom Hardy's weird vocal choice has me scratching my head (*)


Godzilla Minus One

I have friends who are gigantic Godzilla devotees.  I am not one of those, but there is something about this movie that feels more accessible to those who are not steeped in the culture of Godzilla.  I might check this one out with some friends (****)



December 15th

Wonka

While I'm not crazy about another prequel that wasn't needed, there are moments in the trailer that seemed rather delightful.  I'm not saying this is going to be good, but the preview wasn't a disaster so I will keep my eyes open for this (***)


December 15

Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom

I enjoyed the first one as a fun superhero romp.  I think this one won't be as good and I get the feeling that Warner Bros. probably over-produced it, but I will be there (*****)

Migration

Looks like a generic animated family film with no real humor or depth (*)


Ferrari

I just can't seem to bring myself to care about this story.  Maybe I need to be a car guy, but it doesn't interest me (*)


The Color Purple

The original Spielberg movie is one of the only films of his that I hate.  It is long, ugly, dreary, and labored.  I have not heard the music from this musical remake, so it may be very much improved.  But I don't have my hopes up (*)





Thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment