ReasonForOurHope

Thursday, October 1, 2020

Charity of the Month: Michael Hogan Fund

 


Hello,

I know I have been lax in promoting monthly charities.  But I would like to return to offer The Michael Hogan Fund.

I am a huge fan of the Battlestar Galactica reboot and I was particularly impressed with Michael Hogan's performance as Saul Tigh.  He portrayed a man that was horribly broken and flawed, but through the crucible of suffering, he came out the other side a more noble person.

His wife, Susan wrote this on their Gofundme page:

“ You probably know Michael as an actor.  Or maybe you know him as a friend, an acquaintance, a co-worker, a father, a grandfather, or a husband. My husband. I am Susan Hogan and I am married to this extraordinary man. We have been each other’s best friend for decades. 

On Feb. 17, 2020, everything changed drastically in our world.  Michael was in Vancouver participating in a Battlestar Galactica convention, and at dinner following his day’s work, he fell and hit his head. Hard. He went to bed that night not realizing that the impact had caused a massive brain bleed.  He was unable to be woken the next morning and was taken to Vancouver General Hospital and emergency surgery performed. It took 57 staples to close the part of his scull they had to remove in order to reach the damage.
 
The accident left him with complete paralysis on his left side, memory loss, cogntivie impairment and an inability to swallow.  
Then things became incredibly more difficult during the COVID pandemic with visits by family being restricted then denied and no care team (physiotherapist, 
OT, speech therapist, etc. ) allowed in.


They are trying to raise money for all of the therapies and medical expenses.  I believe that since the accident neither Michael nor his wife have been able to work, which puts them in greater strain.

There are many noble charities out there that help serve many people.  And I am sure that you, dear reader, are supportive of many of those causes.

But this is a chance to collectively help one individual.  

I do not know Michael Hogan personally.  I have never met him, even casually at a convention.  I do not know his life, his morals, his politcs, or is personality.  All I know is that there is someone who has fallen on hard times and is in need.  There are many people struggling out there like the Hogans, but that should stop us from helping them out if we can.

And as always, I will never ask you to do something I am not willing to do myself.

Please consider giving to this charity or another worthy cause.

CLICK THIS LINK TO GO TO THE GOFUNDME PAGE

No comments:

Post a Comment