ReasonForOurHope

Monday, May 25, 2015

Memorial Day 2015

(originally posted from 2014)

In the Old Testament, the Hebrew people were told to remember the Passover.  To "remember" in that sense was not simple recollection.  By recalling and re-enacting, they believed that they somehow made the past present.

One of my traditions on Memorial Day to watch Saving Private Ryan and/or Glory.  I know that these are just artistic representations of the actual events and do not come close to really capturing the real horror and valor of those moments.

But film, more-so than any other art (besides maybe the culinary), has the ability to transport us to another place and time.  When I watch these movies, I can, in a small way, remember the way the Hebrews meant.  In those moments I hopefully get a small glimpse of that last full measure of devotion that was given by our brave soldiers who fought for our freedom.

I'm sure that you have better traditions than I do.  But regardless, let us take to today and make ourselves present to the those who marched into hell for a heavenly cause:

Our freedom.

No comments:

Post a Comment