ReasonForOurHope

Sunday, February 5, 2017

Sunday Best: Most Entertaining Superbowl Commercials (repost)

(repost from 2015 with slight update)

I watch the Superbowl every year.  Although I really couldn't tell you much about the games themselves.  I don't follow sports for the most part.

But for some reason, companies put together their big event commercials on during this game.  And I always find that the following day more people talk about the commercials than the game.

Below are, what I think, are the most entertaining commercials that have appeared at the Superbowl.

Note:
-these are not necessarily the most important.  Many consider the original Apple Computer "Big Brother" ad to be the one that made the Superbowl commercial an event unto itself.  But the ad is actually not that entertaining.
-these are not necessarily the best commercials.  As my good friend Rick O. points out, a good commercial makes you buy the product or service.  The below are not in that category.
-these are not necessarily the funniest.  By most entertaining, I simply mean the ones that stick with you, that you remember and go, "That was good!"

I know that this list is even more highly subjective than any other list on this blog.  But here goes.

-BUDWEISER FROGS

This came out while I was in high school and everyone was copying it.  I don't know why it was so catchy, but it got the product name out there in a very creative way.

-OLD SPICE - SMELL LIKE A MAN

Isaiah Mustafa came onto the small screen as a model and mockery of manliness that had people talking about the "Old Spice Guy."

-DIET PEPSI - "YOU GOT THE RIGHT ONE BABY"

Please don't judge me, but I know this tune by Ray Charles better than any of his other songs.

-FED EX - DESERT ISLAND

This commercial made me laugh and laugh and made me look at the movie Cast Away in a whole new way.

-CHRYSLER - HALFTIME IN AMERICA

I remember watching this and thinking, "If Clint Eastwood was running for president, he just won the election."

-WHERE'S THE BEEF?

It was so silly and ridiculous for little Claire Piller shouting that cloying refrain, but it resonnated throughout the '80's.

-TRANSFORMERS: AGE OF EXTINCTION


I always complain about the quality of the Transformers films, but they always sucker me in with spots like this.  I mean come on!  It's Optimus Prime riding a Dinobot!

-FORCE KID


I have watched this commercial over and over again.  It delights me in a way that I don't think any other commercial has.  I don't know why someone with the handle CatholicSkywalker would think that, but there you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment