ReasonForOurHope

Sunday, January 11, 2015

Sunday Best: Golden Globes 2015



In terms of award shows, I usually enjoy the Golden Globes.  They take themselves less seriously than a lot of the other shows (I think that has to do with all the drinking that occurs).  I also like the fact that it covers both TV and movies, so it crowds out a lot of the technical and (I'm sorry) boring categories.

I used to like it more as a predictor of Oscars, but in the past decade they've really been out of sync with the Academy.

Anyway, here are my thoughts on tonight's proceedings.

BEST PICTURE - DRAMA
Should Win = The Imitation Game
-of the movies on this list this is best one.  In fact, none of the TEN movies nominated both categories made my top 10 of the year.  In fact, the only movie of the group that has made over $100 million is Into the Woods.  If the Oscars follow suit, this does not bode well.  This may be one of those low-rated, artsy years.
Will Win = Boyhood
-I haven't seen it, but everyone is raving about the bold experiment in filmmaking that it is.

BEST PICTURE - COMEDY OR MUSICAL
Should Win = St. Vincent
-Not a great movie, but the best of the bunch.
Will Win = Into the Woods
-The Globes like musicals.

BEST ACTOR DRAMA
Should Win = Eddie Redmayne
-A great performance in a terrible movie
Will Win = Steve Carrel
-He has been getting raves.

BEST ACTRES DRAMA
Should Win = Rosmund Pike
-As with Redmayne, a great performance in a movie that isn't as good
Will Win = Jennifer Aniston
-She followed the Oscar formula = pretty actresses uglify themselves.

BEST ACTOR COMEDY
Should Win = Bill Murray
-I loved his performance in St. Vincent.  One of his best.
Will Win = Michael Keaton
-as with Carrel, he has been getting raves.

BEST ACTRESS COMEDY
Should Win = Emily Blunt
-this is the only nominated performance I've seen.
Will Win = Amy Adams
-She is on the Oscar track, so I'm guessing she's the one.  No other reason.

BEST ANIMATED FEATURE
Should Win = How to Train Your Dragon 2
-This was an excellent follow up to a fantastic animated film
Will Win = The Lego Movie
-I am in the minority, but I couldn't stand this movie.  The movie actually has a cynical heart.  Very European.

BEST FOREIGN FILM
Should Win =  Don't care
Will Win = See previous answer

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
Should Win = Didn't see any of the nominated performances
Will Win = Ethan Hawke
-I think they are going to try to give Boyhood as many awards as possible.

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Should Win = Keira Knightly
-I thought her performance in The Imitation Game was one of her best
Will Win = Patricia Arquette
-See my note on Ethan Hawke

BEST SCREENPLAY
Should Win = Graham Moore (The Imitation Game)
-I think that it had the most complexity and layers to the story
Will Win = Richard Linklater (Boyhood)
-See note on Ethan Hawke

BEST DIRECTOR
Should Win = David Fincher (Gone Girl)
-it's the only movie I've seen in this category
Will Win = Richard Linklater (Boyhood)
-see my not on Ethan Hawke

BEST SCORE
Should Win = Alexandre Desplat (The Imitaiton Game)
-This was a wonderfully strong score
Will Win = Trent Reznor, Atticus Ross (Gone Girl)
-The Globes like Reznor.


BEST SONG
Should Win = The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1
-the Hanging Tree song is actual simple and powerful.
Will Win = Selma
-just a guess.


TELEVISION

BEST DRAMA SERIES
Should Win = Game of Thrones
-The Battle of Castle Black put this one over the top
Will Win = The Affair
-I think the Hollywood Foreign Press would enjoy a show about infidelity

BEST COMEDY SERIES
Should Win = None
-I don't watch any of the nominees
Will Win = Transparent
-I think the Hollywood Foreign Press would want to be on the cutting edge of transexuals in television.

BEST ACTOR DRAMA
Should Win = Kevin Spacey
-Great performance.  My pick for best actor in this category in general
Will Win = Clive Owen
-Just a feeling

BEST ACTRES DRAMA
Should Win = Robin Wright
-She should win hands down.
Will Win = Julianna Magulies
-critics love this show for some reason

BEST ACTOR COMEDY
Should Win = None
-I don't watch any of the nominees
Will Win = Jeffrey Tambor
-See my note on best comedy

BEST ACTRESS COMEDY
Should Win = None
-I don't watch any of the nominees
Will Win = Gina Rodriguez
-The Globes sometimes take chances on new material (e.g. Brooklyn 99)

BEST MINI-SERIES/TV MOVIE
Should Win = Fargo
-I cannot tell you how amazing this show was.  It was incomparably good.
Will Win = Fargo
-I think the Globes might get this right.

BEST ACTOR IN MINI-SERIES/TV MOVIE
Should Win =  Billy Bob Thorton (Fargo)
-such a fantastic performance.  I think its the best thing I've seen him do.
Will Win = Mark Ruffalo (The Normal Heart)
-playing a homosexual character increases your award chances.

BEST ACTRESS IN MINI-SERIES/TV MOVIE
Should Win =  Allison Tolman
-An amazing performance that was the heart and soul of the show.
Will Win = Jessica Lange
-Just a feeling

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
Should Win = Colin Hanks (Fargo)
-Also a simply soulful performance.
Will Win = Matt Bomer (The Normal Heart)
--See note on Mark Ruffalo

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Should Win = Michelle Monaghan (True Detective)
-A good performance of a woman married to a cheating jerk.
Will Win = Uzo Aduba
-random guess.


So what do you think?  I will be live tweeting the event.  You can read it at @CatholicSkywalk




No comments:

Post a Comment