ReasonForOurHope

Monday, February 24, 2014

Harold Ramis Is Gone

photo by Justin Hoch


Russel Ziskey.

Egon Spengler.

Harold Ramis.

I didn't know about him as a director and writer until years later.  As a kid I watched Stripes and Ghostbusters over and over again.  Ramis was hysterical in his deadpan delivery.  Standing next to Bill Murray, he might have been mistaken as the straight man.  But he was every bit as funny, he just had a different style.

And he had a a wit to his writing that melded perfectly with the comedic sensibilities of his day.  But when he wanted to, he could be heartfelt.  Groundhog Day is not only a showcase for Bill Murray's acting talent, but it is a beautiful meditation on how only goodness can make man truly happy.

From what I've been able to gather, he and Murray had a falling out after that movie.  It's a shame, because I think that they made one of the great movie pairings.

I know that in the grand scheme of things, making movies isn't the most important job in the world.  But I can't help but feel like a part of my childhood has gone with him.  It is strange how we can develop an affection for people we have never met.

And I'm sad.

God rest his soul.


No comments:

Post a Comment