ReasonForOurHope

Sunday, October 20, 2013

Fall and Holiday Movie Season 2013


Now that Summer Movie Season is over, it is time to look at the Fall and Holiday movie season. This tends to be the time of year for “important” films that get awards. Emanuel Levy points out that in the 1980's 64% of all the films nominated for best picture were released between September and December. This is done to make sure that the film is fresh in the minds of Academy Voters and that it doesn't get drowned out by Summer Blockbusters.

So what movies are remaining in 2013? Here is a list, with a few brief thoughts of my own, including on a scale of 1-5 stars my likelihood of seeing it in theaters (1 being “Not at all” 5 being “Cannot wait!”).

Feel free to chime in.


October 18
Carrie : I don't like horror movies anymore (*)


Escape Plan : I'm a sucker for 80's style action movies (***)


All is Lost : I've Redford is incredible, but I'm worried that the movie is going to be nihilistic (**)


The Fifth Estate : Curious, but Netflix-curious (**)


Kill Your Darlings : Doesn't look very good (*)

October 25
The Counselor : I know that this has an impressive cast, but I just can't seem to get interested (*)


Jackass Presents: Bad Grandpa : This could be wild or awful. But will definetly be vulgar (**)


Blue is the Warmest Color : No it isn't (*)




November 1
Dallas Buyers Club : I'm not a fan of McConnahey, but the premise looks very intriguing. (***)


Ender's Game : I've heard good things about the book and the movie looks pretty good. (****)


Last Vegas (Wide) This could also be very funny with a good cast, but I'm not sure if I want to pay full price (***)


Free Birds (Wide) I don't know, this movie does not seem good at all. It feels like it was produced by PETA (*)


About Time (Limited) This could be a nice charmer or an indie-snoozer. I'm hoping for the former (****)


Diana (Limited) I'm just not interested in this story. At all. (*)


November 8
Thor: The Dark World (Wide) I am hooked on the Marvel movies and I actually really like the original Thor (*****)


How I Live Now (Limited) Its a post-apocalyptic love story, but I can't seem to connect to the idea (*)


The Book Thief (Exclusive) It looks like it should be good, but I am not in a hurry to see it (**)



November 15
The Best Man Holiday (Wide) I didn't see The Best Man (*)


The Wolf of Wall Street (Wide) I am one of the few people who think that Scorcese's movies have gotten better over time. I might be persuaded to see this one in theaters (***)



November 22
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire (Wide) I was so thouroughly impressed with the first one that I read the other two sequels. I will be there opening night (*****)


Delivery Man (Wide) I'm sorry, I'm a sucker for a Vince Vaughn Comedy (****)
December 13




The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (Wide) I am going to get my tickets way in advance and see it on the large IMAX 48-fps screen! (*****)


Saving Mr. Banks (Limited) This could be just the right combination of childlike nostalgia and adult catharsis (****)


American Hustle (Limited) Great cast, but I don't know if I care for the story (**)
December 18


The Monuments Men (Wide) An outstanding cast with an original plot. This could be something (***)


Her (Oscar Qualifying Run) I think I'm going to have to see this. It will either be awful or amazing. I don't think there is going to be an in between (****)

December 20


Anchorman: The Legend Continues (Wide)I'm not the biggest fan of the original, but they might sucker me in to this sequel (**)

December 25
47 Ronin (Wide) This looks like it could be a fun action romp (***)


August: Osage County (Wide) NNNNOOOOOOO! (*)


Jack Ryan (Wide) Looks like it could better than Sum of All Fears (***)




The Secret Life of Walter Mitty (Wide) A beatiful trailer does not a great movie make, but it bodes well I think. I want to see more (****)


The Invisible Woman (Limited) I like Dickens, but this seems like one of those “Marriage is a Prison” movies (*)





No comments:

Post a Comment