ReasonForOurHope

Wednesday, April 17, 2013

New Evangelizers Post: Why Doesn't the Holy Spirit Have a Face?

I have a new article up at NewEvangelizers.com

WHY DOESN'T THE HOLY SPIRIT HAVE A FACE?

I don’t know if you were like me growing up, but I had a hard time wrapping my mind around the nature of the Holy Spirit.  I knew He was important because He’s mentioned with the Father and the Son.  But unlike the Father and the Son, the Spirit has never been “personified.”

Of course the Holy Spirit is a Person in the literal sense; He is the third Person of the Holy Trinity.  But He has no face that my younger self could imagine.  I can see clearly the face of Jesus in my mind’s eye, influenced by art and movies.  I can have some fuzzy image of God the Father because I have a concrete example of a father right in front of me.  But not so with the Spirit.  So in my childish understanding, I envisioned the Trinity as the Father sitting there with Jesus and in between them was their pet bird: The Holy Spirit...

Read the whole thing here

No comments:

Post a Comment