ReasonForOurHope

Monday, December 24, 2012

Monday Poetry: The Nativity

photo by Miossec
On this Christmas Eve, I thought I would share a poem from one of my favorite writers: CS Lewis.

Lewis always wanted to be a poet, but instead he became famous for his prose.  As Christmas gift to him, let's share his Christmas poem.

The Nativity
by CS Lewis


Among the oxen (like an ox I'm slow)
I see a glory in the stable grow
Which, with the ox's dullness might at length
Give me an ox's strength.
Among the asses (stubborn I as they)
I see my Savior where I looked for hay;
So may my beast like folly learn at least
The patience of a beast.
Among the sheep (I like a sheep have strayed)
I watch the manger where my Lord is laid;
Oh that my baaing nature would win thence
Some woolly innocence!

No comments:

Post a Comment