ReasonForOurHope

Sunday, April 14, 2024

Sunday Best: Summer Movie Season 2024

 It is now April, so it's time to look forward to one of my favorite seasons of the year: Summer movie season.


It used to be that Summer movie season would begin in June.  But then it became standard for the big movies to come out in May.  


I know as a cinephile I should be more interested in when the "important" movies come out just before the major awards.  But I think the movies of summer are pure cinema and tend to be the ones remembered long after people have forgotten the plot of whatever film won the Oscar for Best Picture.

Here is a list, with a few brief thoughts of my own, including on a scale of 1-5 stars my likelihood of seeing it in theaters (1 being “Not at all” 5 being “Cannot wait!”).


MAY 3

The Fall Guy

Even though I was not a fan of Barbie, the bright spot of that movie was Ryan Gosling.  He is one of the few actors that can cross into any kind of genre and be amazing.  Combine that with the great Emily Blunt and the two seem to bring a fun action/chemistry to this story.  It looks silly, but it also looks like it could be simply a lot of fun.(*****)

I Saw the TV Glow
Everything about this looks bad.   (*)


MAY 1

Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes
I thought this franchise was completely played out.  But I have to admit that the trailer has me intrigued at least (***)

Tarot
Not a fan of horror films and I especially don't like ones about the occult.   (*)




MAY 17

IF

This has the potential to be a cloying narrative that overdoses on cuteness.  But John Krasinski is an incredibly talented writer/director so I am very curious about this movie. (****)

Back to Black
I was never a fan of Amy Winehouse, so this movie holds no interest for me (*)


MAY 24
The Garfield Movie
Garfield was a huge part of my childhood.  I used to buy the collection of his comic strips through Troll Book Orders (for those too young to remember that, ask your parents).  So I have an incredble affaction for the character.  This movie looks cute and I like the voice cast.  I can't say if it will be good, but I will see it.  (****)

Furiosa: A Mad Max Saga
I did not think that I would like Mad Max: Fury Road, but I was pleasently surprised.  This movie is from the same film makers, so I think that I will give it the benefit of the doubt.  As a prequel, we already know where the journey will take the character.  But the bold visual style may be intersting to see.  (***)

JUNE 7

The Crow
I wrote about my thoughts on this earlier on this blog.  This remake looks pointless and terrible.  (*)

Bad Boys: Ride or Die
I didn't see the last one, but this looks like it could be a fun action romp.  It shocked me how watching Will Smith return to his action/comedy roots, I felt nostalgic and did not think about his horrible attack on Chris Rock.  I think many people may feel the same way and see this movie. (***)



JUNE 14

Inside Out 2

PIXAR and Disney have been putting out some horrible bombs, both in terms of quality and box office.  I have hope for this sequel, but now that the main character is entering into adolecants, I am so worry that they are going to handle this like Turning Red. (***)


The Watchers
High concept M. Night Shyamalan films (or in this case Ishana Night Shyamalan) are a tough sell for me nowadays.  This would have to have amazing word-of-mouth for me to be interested (*)



JUNE 21

Kinds of Kindness

All that has been released is a short teaser, but it looks pretty awful (*)

The Bikeriders
Violent biker gangs in the 1950's?  Not my cup of tea.  Why is this a SUMMER movie? (*)

JUNE 28
A Quiet Place: Day One

When they made Alien: Resurrection, they bragged that they were able to use CGI to finally give us a good look at the xenomorphs.  The problem was that by keeping most of the aliens hidden in shadows, they were scarier.  I worry that the same thing will happen with the creatures from A Quiet Place.  This could be good, but I think it is going to lose some of the primal impact of the first. (***)

Horizaon: An American Saga Part I

This is such a unique gambel on Kevin Costner's part.  But I am at least willing to give this first part a chance. (***)

JULY 3
Despicable Me 4


I've missed the last few movies in this franchise, so I'm probaly not going to see this one in the theaters unless I am babysitting.  (**)

JULY 12
Fly Me To The Moon

The movie looks slick and it has a good cast.  It seems to split the difference between the moon landing being real and fake. (**)



JULY 19

Twisters


The first movie was some decent fun.  I think this will be one that will have to be seen in IMAX so that the sound can have the maximum impact.  This looks like just a fun time at the theater (***)




JULY 26
Deadpool and Wolverine
A red pendant shaped like the left side of a heart and the word 'best' dangles beside a yellow pendant shaped like the right side of a heart with the word 'friends'.
I am excited to see this movie not only because the movie looks bonkers and it also looks like it will be a nice satire on post-Endgame Marvel,  but I really think this will be the last time we will see Jackman as Wolverine.  I also predict that this will be the biggest hit of the summer. (*****)




August 2
Harold and the Purple Crayon

I am a big fan of Zachary Levi and I am unfamiliar with the source material.  It looks like it could be a nice fun and silly children's film (**)



AUGUST 9

Borderlands
undefined


This looks like its trying to be Mad Max with a Guardians of the Galaxy vibe, but I don't think it will be successful at matching either.  (**)

AUGUST 16

Alien: Romulus


This looks like it is getting back to its horror movie roots.  The shot in the trailer with the face-huggers running was incredibly scary.  I don't know if I am brave enough to see this in the theaters, though it looks like it is well-made.  (**)

Horizaon: An American Saga Part II

This will completely depend on how good the first part is (?)

AUGUST 16

Kraven the Hunter


I will say that it looks about as good as any of the non-Venom Sony Spider movies (that is not a complement)  (**)


Thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment