ReasonForOurHope

Monday, February 12, 2024

Sunday Best (On Monday): Best Superbowl Ads 2024

 Sorry for the delay on this article, but I was unable to stay up late enough to get this one written.


I am one of those people that enjoys watching the Superbowl primarily for the commercials.  I find them often more entertianing than the game itslef.  Alhtough this year, it was a very exciting game.


While there were lots of ads, here were my top 10 favorite:  (will provide links to each ad)


10. Mountain Dew Baja Blast

I always liked Aubrey Plaza and this was a clever and fun little ad.  What made me really like it was the cameo at the end by Nick Offerman for a mini-Parks and Recreation reuntion


9. Nerds Gummy Clusters

This ad was so silly that I found myself laughing throughout the entire thing.  It was memorable, no doubt, which is what the makers of the commercials are going for.  I thought it was odd that this one of two ads that used Flashdance music


8.  Skechers

Anything with Mr. T becomes better.  He is such an icon and he is a good Christian man that brings me great joy.  I pity the fool that doesn't love Mr. T.


7.  Bet MGM

You put Vince Vaughn in anything and he has the power to make it better.  Set him in Vegas and I am hit with a wave of 90's nostalgia.  Let him turn on the charm and you have my attention the entire time.


6.  Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes

Before yesterday, I had zero interest in seeing this movie.  I thought that the franchise had played out.  But this little teaser did what it needed to do: it piqued my interest


5. Dunk King

I have always been a big fan of Ben Affleck.  I like this self parody, down to his friendship with Matt Damon.  Affleck is always best when he is self-effacing and making fun of himself.  This made this ad a hoot.


4.  Thank You, Carl

The "Kick of Destiny" is a decent ad campaign.  But what made this one special was the fact that they paid special tribute to the Might Carl Weathers at the end.  A classy touch that made me respect them more.


3.  Google Pixel

This one made my wife cry.  I really like ads that tell a story in the small amount of time that they have.  This was a touching one about how the technology of the smart phone can make the important parts of life easier to capture.


2. Deadpool

I will be honest, I've watched the full trailer teased here several times.  I was interested in this before, but now I am hyped to see it this July.  I love the way they mock the MCU in a way that only Deadpool can.

1.  Foot Washing

This one hit hard.  I might write about this more extensively, but this one was intentionally provocative.  It meant to get Christians out of their comfort zone.  Seeing things like an abortion clinic worker, someone who helps murder unborn babies, have their feet washed by the Christian was something that I was not prepared for.  But that is exactly the point of Christ washing His disciple's feet.  He said, "If I, therefore, the master and teacher, have washed your feet, you ought to wash one another's feet."  (John 13:14)  We are here to serve and to love each other, not judge each other.  

No comments:

Post a Comment