ReasonForOurHope

Sunday, January 16, 2022

Sunday Best: Spring Movie Season 2022

 We are in the odd time for theatrical movies.  Summer is when a number of the big blockbusters are released.  Fall and Winter are when we see more of the prestige pictures.  But the spring season is strange.  Yes, there are some bigger movies coming out, but it always feels like this is the time when studios keep their powder dry and get ready to fire their big guns later.


That isn't always the case.  Deadpool, I believe, was a February release.  And that film went on to do some amazing business.

So here are some of the movies that are coming out along with my level of excitement.  My ability to get out to the theater may be limited this time around.  But I will try to get to the ones that really excite me.

Here is a list, with a few brief thoughts of my own, including on a scale of 1-5 stars my likelihood of seeing it in theaters (1 being “Not at all” 5 being “Cannot wait!”).


January 21st

Cyrano (****)
Cyrano poster.jpg

I think Peter Dinklage is a fantastic actor and I am sucker for a heart-felt musical.  The music from the trailers wasn't spectacular, but I liked it and I found it stuck in my head.  I like that this seems like it won't bee too overblown but focus on the emotion of the scenes.


Redeeming Love (**)
A man and a woman hold each other close.

It's an intersting idea but it feels like a theatrical version of a Lifetime Movie.

January 28

Morbius (***)
Morbius (film).jpg

Venom was some dark, but silly fun.  I'm hoping the same here, but Jared Leto is a bit off-putting, especially after his antics on the set of Suicide Squad were revealed.  It is visually very dark, but I hope it finds some of that Venom humor.

February 4

Moonfall (*)
Three American astronauts floating in space look towards the moon.


This look BAD!  The trailers make the movie feel so incredibly stupid that I find it hard to believe that it got made.
Jackass Forever (*)


Jackass Forever film poster.png

This feels like a movie by middle-aged men who don't realize that they are middle-aged men.  Having never watched the show, I have no interest.

February 11

Death on the Nile (*****)
Death on the Nile (2020 film) logo.png


I loved Kenneth Branagh's Murder on the Orient Express, so I am very excited about his follow up.  Once again, he has an eclectic cast in an exotic location.  I have seen an older version of the film, so I hope that doesn't spoil the ending.

Uncharted (****)
Uncharted Official Poster.jpg

Fans of the game seem to think that Tom Holland is miscast.  I am unfamiliar, so I don't have any of that baggage.  I've heard people say that they love Brendan Frasier's Mummy movies because they allow you to turn off your brain and just have fun.  While I don't feel that way about that franchise, I get the vibe that this might fit the bill.  


March 4

The Batman (*****)
Batman bearing his traditional black batsuit stands in the rain surrounded by red light with the film's logo, title and release date beneath him.

The one thing that I have really been wanting to see in a Batman movie is seeing how he is the world's greatest detective.  While all the trailers have been focusing on the action, I hold out hope that this will be a smart, cat-and-mouse mystery.

March 18 

Unbreakable Boy (***)

Telling the story of a boy with brittle bone disease, this looks like a nice, uplifting family film.  And that is not a bad thing from time to time.

Operation Fortune: Ruse de Guerre (**)
Operation Fortune.jpg

The premise looks kind of fun: spies must get a weapon's dealers favorite movie star to infiltrate his organization.  The cast is quirky enough to potentially make this work.


Downton Abbey: A New Era (*)
Downton Abbey A New Era.jpg

I stopped watching this show sometime in the 4th season so I have no interest in where they are now.

March 25

The Lost City (***)
TheLostCityPoster.jpg


This movie looks silly, and potentially stupid.  But I'm willing to gamble on Sandra Bullock giving us a pleasing, funny comedy.

April 8

Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (*)
Sonic the Hedgehog 2 film poster.jpg

I've heard only good things about the first, but since I haven't seen it, I don't intend on seeing the second yet.


Ambulance (**)
A poster featuring the faces of two men and one woman. Underneath them is an ambulance being pursued by the police. The title, "Ambulance", is also present with the letters "LA" in a different color, noting that the story takes place in Los Angeles.

The directing and performances look good, but this is a story that doesn't seem to have many surprises.  It feels like an extended version of police procedural TV show


April 15

Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore (***)
Fantastic Beasts, The Secrets of Dumbledore teaser poster.png

It think this series has a structural problem by creating a 5-movie series instead of a trilogy.  It was only at the end of the 2nd film that the main story seems to progress.  I am curious as to where it is going and especially because I love the character of Kowalski that I will probably see it in the theater.


April 22

The Northman (*)
The Northman.png

I saw some people who were very excited about this film.  It does seem to have a bold visual style, but it looks so bleak and dreary that I have little interest.


Thoughts?



No comments:

Post a Comment