ReasonForOurHope

Friday, December 11, 2020

Deluge of Disney+ Marvel and Star Wars News

 I was completely unprepared for the amount of news that Disney dropped about the what's coming up for Marvel and Star Wars.  Some of these projects had been announced already and some were complete surprises.  

I'm still processing everything, so here are my reactions.


MARVEL TRAILERS

WandaVision Trailer

We got another look at this upcoming series.  It's basic plot is shrouded in mystery, but given Scarlet Witch's reality-warping powers I think we are seeing the fallout from her trauma in the last Avengers movies.  I love the feel of it as it floats through different eras of TV, though I hope it doesn't try to get too meta about it.


The Falcon and the Winter Soldier Trailer.

This feels like a straight-up sequel to the Captain America movies in the best way possible.  Both Sam and Bucky had a friendship with Steve that was based in admiration.  But these two have a friendship based in rivalry, which will make an very fun dynamic.  I'm looking forward to how they are going to deal with the US Agent and carrying on Steve's legacy.


Loki Trailer

Tom Hiddleston is just too darn fun to watch.  I don't have a good handle on the story, but even the worst parts of the Thor movies that have Loki are enjoyable.  


What If...? Trailer

This animated series could be a great deal of fun and an interesting way to explore the familiar MCU in a new way.  Not a huge fan of the animation style there and I'm just a little trepidatious that the stories may get a little preachy.


MARVEL ANNOUNCEMENTS

Hawkeye

A new series with Jeremy Renner that will introduce Hailee Steinfeld as Kate Bishop.  In the comics, Bishop is an awful character.  But then again, so is the comics version of Miles Morales and yet Into the Spider-Verse is awesome.  So we will see.

Iron Heart

They are going to be introducing Riri Williams, who is also a terrible character in the comics.

Armor Wars

This is a series that will finally but James Rhodes in the spotlight.  I'm looking forward to seeing him step out from Tony's shadow and be the one to take on the Iron Man legacy.

Secret Invasion

No real details here, but it will feature Nick Fury and Skrull leader Talos.  This could end up having huge ramifications by retconning a bunch of characters as Skrulls.

Guardians of the Galaxy Holiday Special

I have know idea what this is about, but I cannot help but think that this will be a riff on the Star Wars Holiday Special, but James Gunn is going to try and make it cool.

Captain Marvel and Ms. Marvel

Kamala Khan will appear in Captain Marvel 2 to create a connection to her own Disney+ series.  Neither character is my favorite, so I'm not very interested.

Moon Night

A series is being developed, but I've never been a fan of this character, so I'm only a little interest.

She-Hulk

Tatiana Maslany will be playing the title character, but Mark Ruffalo will also make an appearance in the series.

Black Panther 2

The only information I saw was that they were definitely not going to have another actor play T'Challa for the sequel.

Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania

All of the returning cast will be coming back to complete the trilogy as well as Kathryn Newton who has been recast as Cassie Lang.  The main villain is the time-traveling Kang the Conqueror, so I am curious.

Doctor Strange and the Multiverse of Madness

It has been confirmed that this will tie in with both WandaVision and the 3rd MCU Spider-Man film.  The big rumor is that this next Spider-film is going to go the route of a live action Into the Spider-Verse.

Fantastic Four

The director of the MCU Spider-Man films, Jon Watts, is going to direct the FF.


STAR WARS SERIES

Obi-Wan Kenobi

It was announced that Hayden Christensen was going to return as Anakin/Vader.  I am actually incredibly excited for this return.

Rangers of the New Republic and Ahsoka

These will be direct spinoffs of The Mandelorean.  If they are going to be supervised by Favreau and Filoni, then I am so in.

Andor

Who asked for this series?  I can think of dozens of other Star Wars characters who should get a TV series besides Casian Andor.  I can't see how this project is supposed to be at all interesting.

The Acolyte

Apparently this is supposed to deal with a secret Sith during the era of the High Republic.  It is a new timeline to explore in Star Wars, but I'm hoping that it has someone with the right vision behind it.

A Droid Story

This is supposed ot be a story with R2 and Threepio, but they are supposed to introduce a new droid.  I'm wary of using classic characters to feature new creations.

Lando

No details are clear, but if Donald Glover is a part of it, I am excited.

Visions

An Anima anthology, which is not my cup of tea, but I am curious.


STAR WARS MOVIES

Rogue Squadron

Patty Jenkins is set to direct a movie she describes as the ultimate fighter-pilot movie.  I loved Wonder Woman and I think this could be great.

Taika Waititi's Star Wars

I'm not a big fan of what he did with Thor and I didn't care for Jojo Rabbit, but I do know that teenagers love both those movies, so I think this might be Star Wars directed not at kids or adults, but to this age demographic.


INDIANA JONES 5

July 2022 will have our fifth and supposedly final outing of Harrison Ford as Indiana Jones.  This will be the only Indiana Jones movie that is not directed by Steven Spielberg or produced by George Lucas.  It will be the brainchild of James Mangold, who made the amazing Logan.  However, Indiana Jones is a more fun character than Wolverine, so I hope Mangold does not go too dark with this iconic character, but instead give him the heart-felt send off he deserves.


Thoughts?

Did I miss anything?




No comments:

Post a Comment