ReasonForOurHope

Sunday, March 19, 2023

Sunday Best: Oscar Results 2023 and Oscar Game Winner

 So the Oscars were last week.

I stayed up and watched the entire show.  This apparently wasn't the case for most people, since this was one of the lowest-rated Oscars in history.  

So below are my thoughts.  Also, I will announce the winner of the Oscar Game.


1. Kimmel Was Good?

I am not a fan of Jimmy Kimmel.  I usually find his humor mean and divisive.  So I was cringing at the thought of him hosting.  However, I was pleasantly surprised by his opening act.  His jokes were funny, self-deprecating, and generally good humored.  His jabs were not really at his political enemies, but at the rich celebrities present.  And since this was a night to shower them with gifts, a good-natured ribbing was certainly in order.  I ended up laughing more than I expected.  Of course, as the show went on, his sharpened jabs would come out.  But by then, he had already done the main job, which was setting up a fun tone for the night.

2. Ke Moment of the Night

As I wrote earlier, the only award I was really excited for was Ke Huay Kwan to win Best Supporting Actor.  Not only did he win, but he gave one of the nicest acceptance speeches I ever heard.  As the son of an immigrant, his words about the American Dream really resonate with me.  And of course, there was nothing finer than watching Short Round hug Indy when Best Picture was announced.

3. Big Night for Science Fiction

In many ways, this is one of the first Science Fiction movies to win big.  Yes there was The Shape of Water, but it did not win nearly as many awards as Everything Everywhere All At Once.  And while I think that this is a good but flawed movie, I was happy for its success and the success of its cast and crew.

4. In Memoriam Fail.

Every year the Academy fails at their In Memoriam.  While John Travolta's opening introduction was moving, stars like Anne Heche, Tom Sizemore, Paul Sorvino, Cindy Williams and many others were left out.

5. Too Long (Again)

Kimmel pointed out that the inclusion of the technical awards was for the audience in that theater and not the audience at home.  While I respect these artists, the show is already way too long.  My main suggestion is actually to remove that stupid banter that occurs before the awards are read.  No one cares and it eats up so much time.

What were your thoughts?


OSCAR GAME WINNER.

So I calculated the results of the Oscar Game.  Thank you again to everyone who played!

In 3rd Place with 12.2 points is Superhero Wife!

In 2nd Place with 12.6 points is Reckless Star!

And in 1st Place with 19.4 points is Catholic Skywalker!

(One of the reasons I publish my choices beforehand is to show that everything is above board.  Readers are free to score my ballot for themselves.)

I look forward to playing again next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment