ReasonForOurHope

Tuesday, June 5, 2018

Trailer Time: Ralph Breaks the Internet - Wreck-It-Ralph 2



I loved the first Wreck-It-Ralph as an ode to old school video arcade games.  I'm glad that we get to spend more time with these characters again.

But I have two trepidations, one subjective and the other social.

The first is that I unfortunately am one of the people that saw The Emoji Movie.  Seeing this trailer gave me flashbacks to that film, causing me to cringe slightly.  I'm sure that the writing on this one will be better, but one of the problems I noticed in The Emoji Movie, was that they did not appreciate how quickly technology moved.  In that film there was an extended sequence with games that software that has lost its buzz like Candy Crush.  In the trailer to this movie, there references to Twitter and Snapchat, but part of me wonders how relevant they will be in 10 years.

The second is the sequence with the Disney Princesses.  I think it's fun and a little brave for Disney to open up their biggest female brand to this film for some humor.  But something about the dialogue made it feel a little less like gentle ribbing and more as a social critique of the concept of the Disney Princess in general.  I'm wondering how far they will go with this, because Disney has got to be careful about not making their large properties distasteful to a large segment of the population or they risk losing that populations dollars, as we saw recently in Solo

Other than that, I think the movie could be fun.

Thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment