ReasonForOurHope

Sunday, September 18, 2016

Sunday Best: Emmys 2016



Tonight are the Emmys, television's highest awards honor.  As an avid television watcher I am always excited to watch and I am also constantly disappointed.  I am going to try to live tweet them again this year (@CatholicSkywalk), but I might not because I still have a lot of work to do before tomorrow

My wife and I watch a LOT of TV.  But so many of the shows we love don't get nominated.  

Anyway, here are my choices for what I would like to win, and my predictions for what I think will win.

CategoryMY CHOICEMY PREDICTION
BEST DRAMABetter Call SaulGame of Thrones
BEST COMEDYNONE   Modern Family
BEST ACTOR, DRAMABob Odenkirk
(Better Call Saul)
Kevin Spacey
(House of Cards)
BEST ACTRESS, DRAMANONEViola Davis (How To Get Away With Murder
BEST ACTOR, COMEDYNONEJeffrey Tambor (Transparent)
BEST ACTRESS, COMEDYNONEJulia Louis-Dreyfus (Veep)
BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR, DRAMAJonathon Banks (Better Call Saul)Kit Harington (Game of Thrones)
BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS, DRAMANONEMaisie Williams (Game of Thrones)
BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR, COMEDYAndre Brauer (Brooklyn 99)Tony Hale (Veep)
BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS, COMEDYKate McKinnon (Saturday Night Live)Allison Janney (Mom)
BEST VARIETY/MUSIC SHOWSaturday Night Live Key and Peele
BEST REALITY SHOW (COMPETITION)The Amazing Race Dancing with the Stars 


BEST TV MOVIE or MINI-SERIESFargoThe People v. OJ Simpson: American Crime Story


BEST ACTOR, TV MOVIE/MINI-SERIESBenedict Cumberbatch (Sherlock) Cuba Gooding Jr. (The People v OJ Simpson: An American Crime Story)
BEST ACTRESS, TV MOVIE/MINI-SERIESKirsten Dunst (Fargo) Kerry Washington (Confirmation)

I have to admit I'm not that good at picking Emmy winners.  

It is especially difficult when I am unfamiliar with most of the nominnies.

Here are the top 10 highest rated shows on broadcast and cable:

1.  The Walking Dead
2. Empire
3. The Big Bang Theory
4. Game of Thrones
5. The X-Files
6.  Modern Family
7.  Grey's Anatomy
8.  Fear the Walking Dead
9.  Scandal/How to Get Away with Murder/The Voice


It very much surprises me how few (if any) nominations The Walking Dead, The Big Bang Theory, and The X-Files received.  Another thing to make this more challenging is that companies like Netflix do not release their metrics, so we do not know how many people watched Daredevil and Jessica Jones.

My point is that with fewer nominations from higher rated shows, fewer viewers will care.

And as in movie awards, I think there is a prejudice against superhero shows.  Some of the outstanding work we've seen on shows like Daredevil and The Flash will not get nominated because of the subject.

And one last prediction: a LOT of Donald Trump jokes.

Thoughts?


No comments:

Post a Comment