ReasonForOurHope

Friday, December 11, 2015

Trailer Time: X-Men Apocalypse

The first trailer for the new X-Men movie came out.

And it is just like the comic-con reel, as I feared.


As I wrote about earlier:


The main villain is Apocalypse.  He is an ancient mutant who has gone through history like a god.  But in the trailer he says this:

"I've been called many things over many lifetimes: Ra, Krishna, Yahweh…"

So, this comic book movie is saying that the God of Abraham, the One revealed by Scripture, the Maker and Redeemer of all, is actually an evil blue mutant.

Now, for those who are saying that this is fiction and we should just lighten up, keep in mind what is being said: Judaism, Christianity (and actually Hinduism), are religions with ideologies that are compatible with a genocidal megalomaniac. 

I have no problem believing that X-Men would make a direct attack on religion.  Col Stryker from 3 of the X-Men films got his start in the comics not as a military man but as a Christian preacher who advocated mass murder of mutants, including children. 

And in the the 25 cent issue sold a few years ago, the first line of the story was, "More people have died in the name of religion than have ever died of cancer… and we try to cure cancer."

I am open-minded and am willing to entertain the idea this line was just Apocalypse trying to aggrandize himself and shake the faith of his enemies.  But the makers of the film are going to have to prove this to me.

As of now, I am resolved to not see this movie.  And I might be the only one who noticed.  I can't find anyone else writing about this cinematic blasphemy.  This is a shame because I love the X-Men franchise. 

I think 20th Century Fox is making a huge mistake. 





I was hoping that Fox would back away from this as they got closer to ad campaign, but they have not.  A number of my friends and commentators online pointed out that since Apocalypse is a villain and, as mentioned above, this could simply be him lying to the heroes.

But I am not optimistic.

I am not one to call for boycotts.  But unless someone sees the movie and it makes very clear that Apocalypse is not the God of Abraham, I will not pay money to be spiritually kicked in the teeth.

Thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment