ReasonForOurHope

Wednesday, September 4, 2013

New Evangelizers Post: On the Non-Necessity of Man


I have a new article up at NewEvangelizers.com

One of the deepest desires of the human heart is the desire to be needed.  We want to know that we are important.  Depression sets in when we feel like another replaceable cog in the great machine of life, be it work, our communities, our families or any other important group.  What stronger sentiment can be given about your worth than someone saying “I need you”?

And yet, in the eyes of God, this is not quite the case.  I remember being confronted with this back at university.  I had a professor who subscribed to something called “process theology.”  Essentially it is the view that God may be our Creator, but he is not perfect.  He still needs to grow and develop.  That is why he made us.  God needs us so that we can add to His love and glory.  We contribute to God something that He needs, and He in turn takes care of us.

When I pressed my professor as to why he held this view, he said to me “Because if God doesn’t need us, than we are not important to God.”

You can check out the whole thing here.

No comments:

Post a Comment